LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Images
    Shaping booth in the back with large glass windows. Shaper back there shaping and fixing ding repairs as they come in possibly while you wait. Full assortment of everything you could ever need to fix your board including things like wax paper, tongue depressers etc. so I don't have to go anywhere else.

What I'd like to see these shop owners do, is go out on a limb, support a local shaper by making 1/2 of their board inventory from the shaper and the other half from various "popular" companies (not china pop-outs), or take it one step further and have a shaper work in-house. This would benefit the shaper, the shop owner, AND the customer.
    Plug for board room opening in J-ville this spring... all local everything they can get. Local shapes & shappers...not sure but I hear Rhino, AFG, Flyline, (all smaller guys) and Whisnant (east coast legend). In house shaping... the works.

Too many Corporations open a shop up and think they can stock a bunch of overpriced board-shorts and T-shirts along with a few surfboards and the surfers will come running. Many of these shops cater to the in-flux of tourists especially here on the East Coast. Its funny to watch ebay around October and see the Asian surfboards that go up for sale from people in Indiana and Ohio...Humm

Firstly, a surf shop is a business and a business needs to make a profit otherwise it would not be a business. That being said there is lots of ways to make money without whoring yourself out. Its all about the perception the community has about the shop.

I like to see shops that are out in front of the Community whether its sponsoring or putting events together that attract amateur and professional surfers from outside the area that in turn have a positive economic impact on the local community. Especially important are the events for the community such as participating in events which reach out to those with special needs, get involved in local environmental issues. There is a number of things a shop can do to put them out front making them a positive force in the community.

The positive force translates to positive cash flow as the local community and those even outside the local community are more likely to come through the door.

I know it sounds a little preachy, its just my opinion, btw there are shops that market themselves in this manner. They are far more successful than their counterparts, the tourists even recognize what shops are the place to go.

to me, a good shop should have a team, take care of its core customers with free wax and discounts, and educate newbies on etiquette.

Quote Originally Posted by wallysurfr View Post
    Shaping booth in the back with large glass windows. Shaper back there shaping and fixing ding repairs as they come in possibly while you wait.
    I'd love it if a local shop had this. I'm sure it would help board sales too. I'm not so sure the shapers would like it at first but the increase in sales would likely make that go away soon. Cooks probably hated it when open air kitchens became all the rage. But, cooks don't get paid by the plate, most shapers do.

You guys need to check out Greenlight in Manasquan if you haven't already, they got something that is unique for sure and many of these requests are fulfilled...

Quote Originally Posted by Feesh View Post
    You guys need to check out Greenlight in Manasquan if you haven't already, they got something that is unique for sure and many of these requests are fulfilled...
    Heard lots of good stuff about them. They seem to be on to something and have a good thing going. I think most of us who are requesting this type of business don't have them anywhere nearby. I'd love to have a place like that in the somewhere in the Tampa Bay area or somewhere around the Space Coast (Daytona / Cocoa) for easy access.

Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    The state of local shops in HHI SC is truly a sad state of affairs... They have NO shops... No local shapers... No local repairs... Just some faom long boards for rent in the summer.... Its a joke... and our local surfing community suffers for it... I certainly have and I have only been here for 5 months.
    That's unfortunate. They did have one about 5 yrs ago. Obviously, they've must of shut down since then. The guys working there were very nice and helpful to me. Plus, they even shaped a bunch of the boards they carried.

I guess you'll have to start a new one

love the shaping room idea. ashton used to have a surf shop that had that glass shaping room loved it.

to the op...to paraphrase lee the stud...nobody owes the community anything.

Quote Originally Posted by s.s.shredder View Post
    Based on the spot in ure profile picture i have an idea what shop your talking about.. Go to luminate in marshfield if ure looking for a good surf shop experience. the shop is really good and the employees are all super chill
    bought my last board at luminate. i gotta agree that it has a good vibe. i wish i had gotten to know bob before he passed away. i heard he was one-of-a-kind