LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Based on the spot in ure profile picture i have an idea what shop your talking about.. Go to luminate in marshfield if ure looking for a good surf shop experience. the shop is really good and the employees are all super chill

xtremelly board? awesome shop, Hoyt is the man??

I choose to suport my local shop because of his personableness. It goes a long way when your local shop owner is in the shop every day year round, and not only knows you but what boards you ride. That is something that goes a longggg way for me. That is something you just don't see anymore AT ALL.

I live in Ocean City, MD and we have one shop here that starts with a K. In my opinion its everything I DON'T like in a surf shop. Way to big, way overpriced, and cocky guys working there who all think they are the local kelly slater. It's a complete turn off as soon as you walk in there for me.

Thats my 2cents
    Last edited by Brode; Mar 5, 2013 at 01:08 AM.

Eric at Beach House in Bay Head fulfills all your needs, and Scott and Carol at Natural Art in Hatteras are the ultimate In The Eye.

Pretty much what some of you have already been saying, carry the local shapers' stock boards. I would pay the extra $ to support the local guys, but I've had better luck with boards that are not custom.

A surf shop's role in the community would ideally be...

As green as possible.

They carry everything you need... "if we don't have it, you don't need it," kind of thing. Like my local hardware store. They have everything but lumber. (Well, before Sandy they did, anyway.) And that's really easy, because you don't need much. But when you need it, you NEED it. And they should have it, including quality ding repair and wetsuit repair materials.

They'd ideally carry locally produced boards and have an experienced local shaper in house for customs and to have informed conversations about design and construction with customers. If they carry clothing (and they all do) they should carry clothes from local designers, if there are any. The music should be from the best local bands, and the videos should be as local as possible... the local rippers at the local spots would be cool.

Which leads to... supporting local artists and artisans.... the guys trying to make it surfing, playing music, designing clothes, shooting film or photos... Sponsoring local kids is key.

Finally... what all respectable local businesses should do, IMO... doing charitable work. Fundraising, hosting events, sponsoring causes. Not only is it good for the community, it's good for business.

knowledgeable, but also staffed entirely with teenage bikini girls.

Top quality products, but dirt cheap.

Mom and Pop, but still stock my favorite $30 bedazzled tee shirts

On, and a message to the 17th street's with no surfboards, leashes, wax etc... WTF CHUCK!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

The only role of a surf shop should be a physical showroom for my online shopping.....jk put down the pitch forks

Images
    The role of local shops differs from region to region. In southern CA, the shops all had monopolies on certain product lines etc, so out of 4 shops in my neighborhood, only one shop could carry a certain line, I.E. quiksilver.... So it makes your decision pretty easy as far as who to buy what products from... But on a smaller level, the role that shops should play should be community first. I.E. putting on the groms, getting the local talent the equipment that they need to excel.... #2, supporting local shapers and local products... #3 Bringing value to the consumer.... Even shops that specialize in local shapers etc owe it to their riders and consumers to offer the best quality boards, whether they are mass produced in China etc, or getting a better deal from american soil.... #4 the little things. Making sure that they have the materials and products to keep local waterman and surfers afloat. I.E. resin, glass, supplies for the do-it-yoursleves, which most of us are. If you cant do #4, you are not a surf shop, but simple a retail store....

In a nutshell, the roles should be consumer first. Unless you have a huge following, you shouldnt be dealing with only local shapes etc... You owe it to the people, no matter how small the community, to get them the most cutting edge products....

The state of local shops in HHI SC is truly a sad state of affairs... They have NO shops... No local shapers... No local repairs... Just some faom long boards for rent in the summer.... Its a joke... and our local surfing community suffers for it... I certainly have and I have only been here for 5 months.

Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    The role of local shops differs from region to region. In southern CA, the shops all had monopolies on certain product lines etc, so out of 4 shops in my neighborhood, only one shop could carry a certain line, I.E. quiksilver.... So it makes your decision pretty easy as far as who to buy what products from... But on a smaller level, the role that shops should play should be community first. I.E. putting on the groms, getting the local talent the equipment that they need to excel.... #2, supporting local shapers and local products... #3 Bringing value to the consumer.... Even shops that specialize in local shapers etc owe it to their riders and consumers to offer the best quality boards, whether they are mass produced in China etc, or getting a better deal from american soil.... #4 the little things. Making sure that they have the materials and products to keep local waterman and surfers afloat. I.E. resin, glass, supplies for the do-it-yoursleves, which most of us are. If you cant do #4, you are not a surf shop, but simple a retail store....

In a nutshell, the roles should be consumer first. Unless you have a huge following, you shouldnt be dealing with only local shapes etc... You owe it to the people, no matter how small the community, to get them the most cutting edge products....

The state of local shops in HHI SC is truly a sad state of affairs... They have NO shops... No local shapers... No local repairs... Just some faom long boards for rent in the summer.... Its a joke... and our local surfing community suffers for it... I certainly have and I have only been here for 5 months.
    That is sad, and it is also true for half the Charleston shops. Luckily, we have a place like McKevlins. They work with local shapers and the few local garment manufacturers to provide the best for the area. They also sponsor surf and skate teams in the area. I am always happy to give them my money. Unfortunately, they are about a 30 min drive from where I live.