LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Images
    Why is this turning into a pissing contest? go local when it's reasonable and prudent. Don't buy "mainstream" stuff that's way over priced. That's all most working guys/students can do. I am getting my first WRV board here soon. Local shaper, local deal. Getting a brand new board for $400-$150=$250 for a trade in added on. If that's not a good example of staying local, i don't know what is. Stoked to get to try WRV boards. 6'2 Yinger Chronic, Triple Stringer with carbon fiber tail and nose. Apparently it is a prototype and nobody bought so they put a discount on it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    love the shaping room idea. ashton used to have a surf shop that had that glass shaping room loved it.

to the op...to paraphrase lee the stud...nobody owes the community anything.
    In Trader Lee's shops right? Man....I remember the gas station back there with the chicks in bikinis who pumped your gas.

the local surf shop should be a place to go to get surf wax and possibly score some herb. everything is is way too deep. my local surf shops rock. i get medicinal there. and also the local surf shop should make a profit so they can keep being the local shop.

hmm,Scott and Carol,Hyatt,Curtis,Matt all local,surfing,shaping,glassing,repairing,making clothing,supporting the Hatteras community neighborhood lifestyle...since 1977. I noticed that the vast majority of surfboards ridden in the local area are In The Eye, shaped by Scott.that's over 35 years,and they ask for nothing in return

Scott also has some really fair prices - I don't think he makes much $ at all on his boards, he just loves shaping. BTW Beachbreak, did you see Scott won the "shape off" at the Florida Expo/Tradeshow whatever it was called last month ? Shows his shaping is up there with the best.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    In Trader Lee's shops right? Man....I remember the gas station back there with the chicks in bikinis who pumped your gas.
    Yep. I think he was about 5 years too early. Can you imagine how big that shop would be if he started up later?

If a shop doesn't have a solid team in a wide age range, doesn't sponsor local surfing/environmental/music/art events and doesn't hook locals up with a discount and/or free wax--it is definitely NOT a surf shop.

We have 4 main players here: Surf City, Sweetwater, Hotwax and Aussie Island--all been here for decades now... Surf City about 36 years now or something. I've never been a fan of Aussie since they sponsored all the preppy rich kid surfers when I was a grom--just couldn't identify with them. But they were still a core shop.

Michael Paul owns Hotwax and has a shaping bay in the back--he shapes Proline boards. I don't go there much 'cause it's a little more geared to the UNCW kids since they are so close to campus. Definitely more diluted than they used to be though.

Surf City is our oldest surf shop, been going there my entire life. They have one of the best board selection in town but could definitely carry more local shapers.

Sweetwater is a great shop, just hard to maneuver around when there are more than 6 customers in there, but they are a testament to creative packing efficiency. They seem to keep a decent balance of major shapers and locals, but carry too many Firewires IMO. Still pretty close to ideal as is Surf City for what I'm trying to get.

I haven't been in the new shop down at my local--near Crystal. I don't think I will, either. I hear the owner is "a really nice guy" etc, etc, etc... But the people telling me this did not grow up, go to school and sometimes surf with/around the guy--I did. At least he's carrying Jimmy Keith shapes--love those boards.

I can never keep a handle on CB's rotating roster of various shops. It's not like the old days with The Cove--RIP.

I can never keep a handle on CB's rotating roster of various shops. It's not like the old days with The Cove--RIP.[/QUOTE]

I like Sandstone Surf Shop on CB. Not open in the winter, but they do carry a lot of local shapers boards. It's also great to by wax and beer within biking/skateboarding distance from good breaks. Always pleasant people in and around there too.

Totally agree. Atlantic Shoals does this on CI and we all support and promote the store as a result. And now has a great reputation along the east coast. Friendly, helpful, mix of good boards and of course everything a tourist needs to get going. They take care of their core customers and do everything possible to educate the newbies. We're all in this together kind of phylosophy. And everyone that works in the store surf.
    Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    to me, a good shop should have a team, take care of its core customers with free wax and discounts, and educate newbies on etiquette.
    Last edited by Alvin; Mar 6, 2013 at 05:20 PM.