LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mythbusters did a spot on shooting into the water about 5 years ago.

Turned out the higher the power, the more likely the bullet disintegrates when it hits the water and the faster it slows down.

Anyway, I think it's just plain moronic that some folks chum the water to attract sharks so they can film them, a hungry shark attacks a filmer then they turn around and want revenge on the shark.

Buncha phuktards.

My guess is only a head or spinal shot would to kill a shark outright anyway. Its not like they will bleed out as a mammal would. A gut shot would work but you wouldn't have the angle if you were above it. Death by infection is pretty cruel punishment.

The oceans have been overfished for decades. There have been mast fish die offs. No more cod off of Cape Cod. What is being passed off as real fish are crap fish like oyster toads. When the pickings are slim, then everything is food.

Rage Against the Machine put it best,"Hungry sharks don't stay hungry for long".

or something like that.

I saw a PBS documentary where they did an autopsy of a great white shark. When you see just how tough those animals are, you kind of conclude that bullets won't do much. Even the eyes seemed indestructible.

Bullets do no damage when shot in to water. I've seen it done. It slows it down instantly. Maybe if it's right at the surface, but more than a not more than a couple of inches under and it won't penetrate

Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    I'd need to see some ballistics info before I accepted that...Idk, I'd imagine that a 7.62, 30-06, 308, anything in the 30 cal. range would do some damage, and if it is just damage, leaving something wouded is even worse. I know Inuit populations shoot narwhals(not sure if misspelled) and sometimes kill them.

There is plenty of cod off Cape Cod... In the NE we've had strict fishing regs for years. There's plenty of fish out there. When I was a kid you had to know your sh*t to cath a bass, now any schmuck can catch'em... There's no flounder, but that's because they're the favorite meal for seals... See the cycle. There's more fish than there has been in years, from small to giant.

Quote Originally Posted by chicharronne View Post
    The oceans have been overfished for decades. There have been mast fish die offs. No more cod off of Cape Cod. What is being passed off as real fish are crap fish like oyster toads. When the pickings are slim, then everything is food.

Rage Against the Machine put it best,"Hungry sharks don't stay hungry for long".

or something like that.

Images
    I've spent many a day as a kid (back in the 70's) shooting 22's into the water trying to pick off a large mouth bass lounging right under the surface on a hot summer afternoon. Not only did I never kill one but I really doubt I ever hit one.

Images
    Again, I'm aware of the GENERAL physical phenomena that will occurr when a bullet hits water. But I'm never convinced when I hear general statements like "I've seen it done", etc. Who would sit calmly at the bottom of a pool while someone else fires 30 caliber rounds into it? I know I wouldn't. And for the record, I'm not anti gun, I'm a gun owner and was raised around them. The mentality that we should go get the bad shark that ate the human is the same one that allowed wolves(although I hate to compare sharks to wolves b/c sharks clearly prey on us occasionally whereas wolves eat our retarded livestock and pose minimal threat to us) to be pushed to the point of extinction, moutain lions, etc. Sometimes people get attacked by animals, sometimes we die. And who's going to fund these shark lynchings when someone gets it around here? We want the govt. off our asses when it comes to replenishment, ticketing you poor guys in Jersey, protecting us from ourselves essentially, so will we want them to do it?

I'm all about "survival of the fittest," but I wouldn't bring a gun to a knife fight.