LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wave priority

Wave priority

Call me a nerd, but I'd like to set things straight... and it made me feel a lot better having done this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL2hw2BrVUg

Posting this to clarify the "unspoken rule" of surfing. I've been surfing for about 7 months now, self taught. I try really hard to respect other surfers out there - especially since I still consider myself a beginner-intermediate. I'm at that level now where I want to advance and catch bigger waves while still having fun.

This particular wave was my last one of the day after being out there for about 2.5 hours. I backed out of a lot that day letting the more experienced surfers catch them. But I thought for sure this was my wave. As you can see, I look to see if any riders are on it and after seeing no one up, I figured this wave was fair game so I caught it. About halfway through my awesome ride, this guy cut me off and as I turned around to look I fell. It was his last wave too, so I decided to calmly tell him on shore that what he did was pretty cheap and it was clearly my wave. He got extremely offended and started cussing me out. I held my ground but wasn't about to exchange punches so I explained my position and walked away.

I'm posting this purely to see if I was in the wrong. If so, I'll accept it and become a better surfer. If not, then I'll know when to push back on waves that are rightfully mine.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

I think you may have it wrong.

he had priority because he was deeper than you.you probably didn't think he was going to catch it so you went. remember always look to your left or right before going and be sure no one is there. your learning everyone does it at some point.

was he up on the wave the same time as you or did he get up once you were down the line. If he got up the same time you did then he was in the right, if he didn't then he was in the wrong but hey welcome to surfing where it is survival of the fittest.

thanks for the help guys.

I did look but saw that no one was on it.

was he up on the wave the same time as you or did he get up once you were down the line.
    It seems like he wasn't up first, and in the video I think it shows that i was standing first. Hate to be nit-picking. Anyways, I thought that was the rule and will just continue to try to earn respect out there.

could go either way, depends on the surfers. If you are both regulars at the spot and he knows your a beginner he could have let you have it... just keep at it.. and next time you see him say hello and make a friend. Then you will be trading off waves instead of fighting for them.

Images
    I think you should burn him a dvd then ask him to pay you $50 for your pain and suffering. If he doesn't I think you should sue him.

Images
    It seems like he wasn't up first, and in the video I think it shows that i was standing first. Hate to be nit-picking. Anyways, I thought that was the rule and will just continue to try to earn respect out there.
    Without a doubt you were in the wrong in that situation. My advise, don't surf swami's with only 7 months experience. Go somewhere else that allows you to catch twice as many waves and not worry about cutting people off.

You were lucky the guy let you get off with just some words after you cut him off, then went to the beach and gave him crap about it. Remember, a lot of people have been surfing for 20+ years and don't want some prick, kook with 7 months experience, a gopro and a fun shape telling them how to surf. Especially if they were just cut off on their last wave.
    Last edited by ecoastprock; Mar 7, 2013 at 04:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by evandj View Post
    thanks for the help guys.

I did look but saw that no one was on it.

Swarmies.

Dude, you can clearly see homie over your left shoulder at 11 seconds. It's a right. It's his wave, unless he blows it, in which case it was yours.

Oh yeah, this means nada, "It seems like he wasn't up first, and in the video I think it shows that i was standing first."
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Mar 7, 2013 at 04:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    Swarmies.

Dude, you can clearly see homie over your left shoulder at 11 seconds. It's a right. It's his wave, unless he blows it, in which case it was yours.
    Exactly. But kudos for cold water surfing. Its probably the only reason you made it out of the water to post the backwards looking go pro. Your mind captures it so much finer. Leave your gizmos ashore.