LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Wave priority

Quote Originally Posted by evandj View Post
    Duly noted. Don't wanna be an angry surfer and wouldn't want to confront them. That being said... I'm gonna take this discussion and move on to less crowded, more laid back breaks. thx
    Dude, you don't have to go to another beach just because of one incident, these things can happen at any beach. My suggestion would be to just be more aware of your surroundings and know when to go and when not to go. You were pretty far ahead of that guy at 1st and then he walked you down from behind, so i'd suggest working on getting more speed down that line and you won't have to worry about that happening should you happen to get up on one by accident and don't have inside position. Lastly, having a GoPro on your board will make you stick out like a soar thumb in the lineup and being you've only been surfing 6-7 months, it just makes you a target for someone looking to burn you. Keep it up though, you look decent for someone just learning.

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Dude, you don't have to go to another beach just because of one incident, these things can happen at any beach. My suggestion would be to just be more aware of your surroundings and know when to go and when not to go. You were pretty far ahead of that guy at 1st and then he walked you down from behind, so i'd suggest working on getting more speed down that line and you won't have to worry about that happening should you happen to get up on one by accident and don't have inside position. Lastly, having a GoPro on your board will make you stick out like a soar thumb in the lineup and being you've only been surfing 6-7 months, it just makes you a target for someone looking to burn you. Keep it up though, you look decent for someone just learning.
    Swami's is probably the most crowded break in North County. Going to another break is actually a really good idea. Just 50 yds South is Pipes, 300 maybe 400 yds N is D Street. There are literally a half dozen breaks within walking distance of where he was surfing, which are much less crowded and almost as good.

If you've never surfed Swami's during a South/South West swell, you don't know that the shoulder jacks up before the peak. It's because there's a shelf that sticks out and juts South. It's very common for people to shoulder hop there, because of that shelf, depending on Swell direction. What they don't know is, after jacking up on the shoulder, the wave face slows down and lets the peak catch up; which it does very quickly. There is no way that after taking off on the shoulder there, you are going to go faster than the guy on the inside who took off on the peak. It's a very easy wave to surf, but if inexperienced and not familiar with it, difficult to read.

I live about a 3 mile bike ride from there. Going 50 yards South to Pipes or 300 yards North to D St is the best course of action.

We're talking the difference between Pipeline and Pupakea here. Neglible as far distance, worlds apart as far as who should surf there.
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Mar 7, 2013 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    Swami's is probably the most crowded break in North County. Going to another break is actually a really good idea. Just 50 yds South is Pipes, 300 maybe 400 yds N is D Street. There are literally a half dozen breaks within walking distance of where he was surfing, which are much less crowded and almost as good.

If you've never surfed Swami's during a South/South West swell, you don't know that the shoulder jacks up before the peak. It's because there's a shelf that sticks out and juts South. It's very common for people to shoulder hop there, because of that shelf, depending on Swell direction. What they don't know is, after jacking up on the shoulder, the wave face slows down and let's the peak catch up; which it does very quickly. There is no way that after taking off on the shoulder there, you are going to go faster than the guy on the inside who took off on the peak. It's a very easy wave to surf, but if inexperienced and not familiar with it, difficult to read.

I live about a 3 mile bike ride from there. Going 50 yards South to Pipes or 300 yards North to D St is the best course of action.

We're talking the difference between Pipeline and Pupakea here. Neglible as far distance, worlds apart as far as who should surf there.
    Solid suggestion, my only point was you don't have to leave a beach you like to go to just because you had one one incident. Is it better to go to another beach that's less crowded but almost as good of quality? Sure, I would, but I also wouldn't let one incident chase me off either.

Dude what if he got in it with WarChild or someone like that??? I mean I dont even think the FitzTorped... or fitzpedo would even make a difference against warchild...

Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    Dude what if he got in it with WarChild or someone like that??? I mean I dont even think the FitzTorped... or fitzpedo would even make a difference against warchild...
    If I were there it'd go something like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT63Nq2ZTOU

If I were there it'd go something like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT63Nq2ZTOU
    awwwweeeessssooooommmmeeeee!!! lol.

Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    awwwweeeessssooooommmmeeeee!!! lol.

SwellInfo Gold.

Also, ditch the go pro. makes me want to drop in on you too.

To the OP

Watched your video a couple times, you both took off at nearly the same time, but he was deeper...so your in the wrong. But it's a learning process, he was far enough away from you, that you didn't cause him to bail or worse, cause bodily injury. I would say your fine, if the situation ever arises again, as soon as you realize someone is deeper, just pop back off the wave...no harm, no foul.

as for Sunny Garcia, I think he is a damn good surfer, but an immature hothead. You fight another man mano e mano, but you don't beat up somebody else's kid. Just my $.02.

"That would be a waste of time. We're just gonna Fu*k you up"