LOGIN | REGISTER

Thread: I surf

I surf

"Between all the caffeine and the booze, I don't see how you stay hydrated." That was what she said to me.
    I was driving back from FIL's.
    "Well, I surf, and I, uh, you know, drink a lot of water.
    "Yeah, salt water."

I can't win.

"I can't win".

if your surfing your winning

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    "Between all the caffeine and the booze, I don't see how you stay hydrated." That was what she said to me.
    I was driving back from FIL's.
    "Well, I surf, and I, uh, you know, drink a lot of water.
    "Yeah, salt water."

I can't win.
    totally agree w/ bricktuckyjohn. if you're getting water time, you're ahead of the game.

now on a semi-serious note, i do think there's some sort of filtration system built into our bodies...whenever i get in the pool to swim laps, almost w/out fail i have to piss like a racehorse when i get out. i don't drink chlorinated/brominated water, so where's all that pee coming from if not absorption through the skin? filter the chemicals out (or not) & take in the h2o. i imagine it works the same w/ ocean water...filter out the salt, keep the water.

Weird, salt water actually dehydrates you through osmosis. Ocean water has a higher salinity than your body, so out goes the h20.

plus drinking salt water makes you delusional. Dave Rastavich drinks it before every session.... explains a lot.

Images
    I hear you brother... Surfed burkes yesterday and gagged a few times due to dehydration. Pounded a gatorade on the way to the beach, but my wife and I went to the food and wine festival with VIP passes the day before... I would imagine that I consumed about 3-4 bottles of wine in a few hours in the hot sun... ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    Pounded a gatorade on the way to the beach
    straight gatorade makes me nauseous...way too sweet for my liking. i need to dilute it down to at least 75-25 gatorade to water, preferably 50-50 in order to drink it, esp. if i just got out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    whenever i get in the pool to swim laps, almost w/out fail i have to piss like a racehorse when i get out. i don't drink chlorinated/brominated water, so where's all that pee coming from if not absorption through the skin?
    I used to think the same thing. Turns out your skin absorbs water, but that water does not get further into your body than that. That's why your skin wrinkles. It's actually puffing up with water, but the little crevices that make the wrinkles are actually where the outer layers of skin are held to the lower layers with connective tissue. The high part of the wrinkles are where the skin is filled with water.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leethestud View Post
    plus drinking salt water makes you delusional. Dave Rastavich drinks it before every session.... explains a lot.
    haha "i surf because" vid ..

salt water dehydrates, after I surf I sometimes get indigestion or feels like it - burps, from accidently drinking the salt..

drink lots of water, pee in wetsuit- check