LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lasik

Lasik

I am getting LASIK done on Thursday and was wondering if anybody has gotten it done can provide some insight? What is the recovery time like? How long till you surfed again? Did you notice a differnce in your surfing? The doctor mentioned I could swim in 2 weeks but IM a bit nervous messing with my eyes and the filthiness of the water. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Did it last year. They suggest you to be careful with surfing for at least 2 months. If you don't think you'll be in a big wipeout it's going to be okay. The water isn't dangerous i's the impact of the water that can open the scar.
    As for surfing itself, best move ever, surfing with bad eyes take 30% of the fun. You're going to love it!
    Cheers

I've considered getting this done myself but never taken the leap. I'm suppose to wear glasses but i never do and I know it hurts my surfing to some degree not having 100% of my vision. Reading waves and seeing the details more clearly is what i'm missing out on and i'm sure that could improve my surfing to some degree if I got that fixed. I need to get it done, but not sure it's worth the risk or not. Lots of people have had success and others not so much, just depends I guess.

Images
    There's nothing worse than losing a contact in the water and ending your session early. Good luck and let us know how it goes. I want to get it done too.

I was just thinking about this the other day... and I keep thinking how long would it keep me from being able to surf after getting the proceedure done.... meanwhile I have never had a problem with my disposable contacts while surfing... granted you have to keep your eyes closed and be careful to not let any water hit them... which always seems to happen within 5 seconds of getting in the water. lol.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fupafest View Post
    I am getting LASIK done on Thursday and was wondering if anybody has gotten it done can provide some insight? What is the recovery time like? How long till you surfed again? Did you notice a differnce in your surfing? The doctor mentioned I could swim in 2 weeks but IM a bit nervous messing with my eyes and the filthiness of the water. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!
    Had LASIK in 1999 and it was the best thing I ever did for surfing. The doctor told me that the flap would be completely healed back to the eye surface within a few weeks. I had the surgery in mid January and went on a surf trip to Eleuthera in mid February with no issues.

By the way, 14 years later, my eyesight is still excellent, and i had no issues in recovery.
    Last edited by mitchell; Mar 12, 2013 at 07:45 PM.

LASIK is the best thing a surfer could do. I try to block out how many times a contact would fall out (or both) while surfing which would end my session early and result in a pretty hairy car ride home until I learned to leave the spare glasses in the glove compartment.

My last straw with contacts/glasses was when I went on a surf trip to Playa Hermosa, Costa Rica and the airline lost my luggage (boardbag included). I left my glasses and spare contacts in my luggage and was left stressing over losing my contacts surfing and not being able to see/surf in paradise (thankfully the hotel owners gave me and my buddy some boards and trunks). And luckily I didn't lose a contact and got my bags back in 3 days.

I got LASIK in Jan 2012 and hit the water first in Late March/Early April that year. My doctor was pretty sure I would be okay after 2 months, but I waited an extra bc of other doctor's opinions on the internet and knowing the impacts you can take (I had popped both ear drums in separate incidents earlier that year). I actually fell and thought I tweaked one of my eyes in my first session and saw a doctor who said everything was okay, but I just aggravated it (I thought I lifted the flap).

Moral of the story is... LASIK is the best thing you can do to increase your quality life as a surfer, but be smart about getting back in. Seems like no one has a horror story about LASIK and lifting their eye flap surfing though.

I had the Epi Lasik where there is no flap cut in the cornea. Recovery is longer but it is suggested that this is good for people that do sports etc. - I was out of the water for maybe 2-3 weeks. Great decision no matter what procedure you go with.

Had it done 3 years ago and best decision ever! Highly recommend it. 2 weeks recovery before going in for me and no problems. Only reget not having done it years ago.

Good luck!

My friend is an ophthalmologist and he doesn't think LASIK is a good idea for anyone. You have to decide which risks are acceptable for you personally.