LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lasik

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    My friend is an ophthalmologist and he doesn't think LASIK is a good idea for anyone. You have to decide which risks are acceptable for you personally.
    My wife is an ophthalmologist and she also has reservations about LASIK. I wear soft contacts myself and can count on one hand in the last 10+ years I've lost a contact in the water...

It's uncomfortable at the beginning of a session without my glasses. I wear them all the time. That wasn't always the case, but age takes its toll. I adapt for the most part. I see the Wounded Warriors missing a leg or an arm trying to surf at the VA Bch Oceanfront and realize that I've got nothing to complain about. It's toughest toward dusk when the light diminishes. With less light, my eyesight deteriorates rapidly. When I can't really see or judge the swells, it's time to get out. I have a hard time clearly seeing other surfer's faces when we're talking out in the line-up, so I may not recognize them the next time I see them. Maybe I could have bolts implanted on both sides of my head to attach prescription goggles.

I've thought about getting it...I wear contacts and i can't stand taking them out every night, which led me to having two eye infections earlier this year...it does suck losing one while out in the water, but it's such a rare occurrence that it's not really a big deal. Surfing without one or both blows, that's why i always keep a spare pair in the Jeep.

My dad had it done by his eye doctor, it wasn't categorized as LASIK, so if i was going to get it done I'd probably go through my eye doctor. I watched the surgery. Saw them cut the flap and all, looked pretty nasty...but he loves it.
    Last edited by Koki Barrels; Mar 13, 2013 at 01:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    My friend is an ophthalmologist and he doesn't think LASIK is a good idea for anyone. You have to decide which risks are acceptable for you personally.
    care to elaborate? that's a very bold statement, considering that (purely anecdotally) this is the first negative i've heard about lasik. i surf in soft contacts, have since i was 14, & can count on 2 hands the # of lenses i've lost in the ocean, so it's not *really* a big deal, but still a PITA when it happens (once a year, tops). i long ago learned to keep spares in the glove box. i'm genuinely curious about why eye dr's. think it's a bad idea when i've only heard good things from patients who've had it done.

I had epi LASIK four years ago and it's one of the best decisions I've ever made. That's not even mentioning how much it has improved my time in the water. The recovery from epi is slow (months to full acuity) and it hurts like hell for a few days but I'd do it again. My surgeon offers both procedures and said if he was having it done for himself, all oher things bring equsl, he'd definitely go epi despite the long recovery. Do a bit of research before you decide on flap surgery.

I had it done about 3 years ago and I had them use the scalpel on the flap and I was told that was the way to go because the laser serated the corneal flap where the blade made a clean cut. Best money Ive ever spent, surfing for the first time afterwards was really bizarre because i had to get used to a completely new depth perception but its amazing in the difference when you can see better down the line. Good Luck

I say go ahead and go for it, keep us posted too! Having bad eyesight myself and wearing soft contacts out in the surf all the time I call BS on the people saying it's rarely a problem losing a contact. If you ever plan on trying to make a barrel or even surf in big waves, dealing with contacts BLOWS. During a good 3-4 hour barrel session I've gone through several in each eye. I look forward to having LASIK done myself in another year or two when my vision settles.

used to lose contacts all the time, then had this in 2005, best 4K i ever spent

Post Op Update:

The procedure: Your are taken into the room with the lasers. The doctor uses a suction cup to keep your eye open while cutting the flap. (you dont feel or see a thing). He then moves you over to the correction laser. Depending on your vision depends on how long the laser fires (in my case 7 secs). As the laser is correcting your vision you get a the smell of burnt hair. The laser looks like a dentist light with a green laser in the center. Also, once its start correcting it looks like red static. After the laser is done, the doctor puts your eye flap back with a brush so gentil you cant feel it. Thats it!, surgery is DONE!!!! 15 minutes to perfect vision.

The recovery: Your suppose to go to sleep right after the surgery before the numbing drops wear off. Unfortunatly, I could not fall asleep and was in for a night of HELL!!!!!!!!!!!! The sensation for the first 6 hours was that of burning hot GLASS in my eye. It was so painful I couldn't open my eyes to see. Afterwards, it got better hour by hour. Within 24 hours I could see 20/20 but still had a bit of discomfort. 72 hours later I still have a bit of discomfort but my vision has improved even more 20/15 according ot the doctor.

Overall thoughts: Day by day my eyes are healing and feeling more normal. I would suggest this to ANYONE who wears contacts and does any type of action sport. Its so great to be able to see BETTER than with contacts. Im going to have to train my eyes to stay open underwater now. I am so excited to surf. Although its a bit expensive you cannot beat the gift of eagle vision
    Last edited by fupafest; Mar 20, 2013 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fupafest View Post
    Post Op Update:

The procedure: Your are taken into the room with the lasers. The doctor uses a suction cup to keep your eye open while cutting the flap. (you dont feel or see a thing). He then moves you over to the correction laser. Depending on your vision depends on how long the laser fires (in my case 7 secs). As the laser is correcting your vision you get a the smell of burnt hair. The laser looks like a dentist light with a green laser in the center. Also, once its start correcting it looks like red static. After the laser is done, the doctor puts your eye flap back with a brush so gentil you can feel it. Thats it!, surgery is DONE!!!! 15 minutes to perfect vision.

The recovery: Your suppose to go to sleep right after the surgery before the numbing drops wear off. Unfortunatly, I could not fall asleep and was in for a night of HELL!!!!!!!!!!!! The sensation for the first 6 hours was that of burning hot GLASS in my eye. It was so painful I couldn't open my eyes to see. Afterwards, it got better hour by hour. Within 24 hours I could see 20/20 but still had a bit of discomfort. 72 hours later I still have a bit of discomfort but my vision has improved even more 20/15 according ot the doctor.

Overall thoughts: Day by day my eyes are healing and feeling more normal. I would suggest this to ANYONE who wears contacts and does any type of action sport. Its so great to be able to see BETTER than with contacts. Im going to have to train my eyes to stay open underwater now. I am so excited to surf. Although its a bit expensive you cannot beat the gift of eagle vision
    thanks for the update. I wear contacts when I surf... it has never been an issue other than people sometimes are waiting for me to get them in to head to the beach. lol. I don't like wearing glasses so between the two surfing and regular life I wouldnt mind getting rid of the glasses. Keep us posted on your experience until you think you are fully healed andback in the water.