LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lasik

Quote Originally Posted by fupafest View Post
    Post Op Update:

The procedure: Your are taken into the room with the lasers. The doctor uses a suction cup to keep your eye open while cutting the flap. (you dont feel or see a thing). He then moves you over to the correction laser. Depending on your vision depends on how long the laser fires (in my case 7 secs). As the laser is correcting your vision you get a the smell of burnt hair. The laser looks like a dentist light with a green laser in the center. Also, once its start correcting it looks like red static. After the laser is done, the doctor puts your eye flap back with a brush so gentil you cant feel it. Thats it!, surgery is DONE!!!! 15 minutes to perfect vision.

The recovery: Your suppose to go to sleep right after the surgery before the numbing drops wear off. Unfortunatly, I could not fall asleep and was in for a night of HELL!!!!!!!!!!!! The sensation for the first 6 hours was that of burning hot GLASS in my eye. It was so painful I couldn't open my eyes to see. Afterwards, it got better hour by hour. Within 24 hours I could see 20/20 but still had a bit of discomfort. 72 hours later I still have a bit of discomfort but my vision has improved even more 20/15 according ot the doctor.

Overall thoughts: Day by day my eyes are healing and feeling more normal. I would suggest this to ANYONE who wears contacts and does any type of action sport. Its so great to be able to see BETTER than with contacts. Im going to have to train my eyes to stay open underwater now. I am so excited to surf. Although its a bit expensive you cannot beat the gift of eagle vision
    excellent! glad to hear it went well for you...did insurance cover any of it or was it totally out of pocket b/c it was elective?

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    excellent! glad to hear it went well for you...did insurance cover any of it or was it totally out of pocket b/c it was elective?
    My insurance covered about %15 of the cost. But the place I went to had some special for any insurance, I think it was like $600 off.

Images
    congrats man. i hope one day i can do this. my vision is terrible though. like -45 astigmatism bad. i was born cross-eyed and had to have surgery at 6 months. worn glasses since i was 4. cant wear contacts because the astigmatism is so bad the contact doesnt ever suck to my eye. ive learned how to surf and judge depth perception in the water somehow really well. like seeing sets and reading waves better than others who's vision is really good. its really weird.

For years my eye dr told me that I would never be able to get LASIK. Huge bummer, got to the point that I had trouble seeing waves coming, couldn't see a friends face sitting 3' away, even had a hard time finding my truck after I got out of the water! Finally got a second opinion, and did the LASIK procedure. Optometrist want to sell you glasses/contacts. BEST thing I've ever done, life changing! Do it!