LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Keeping your budget and time in mind: Insanity. 40-60 minutes a day and $40-50 from a quitter on craigslist. All you need for insanity is motivation and some cold water; no equipment. People spending $200+ a month on a crossfit membership are just fawking stupid. I've never done it, but I would put insanity (and myself) up against any crossfit workout.
    I'm currently doing a mix of P90x (1-2/week), Insanity (1-3/week) and Running (3-10 mile runs, 1-3/week). When theres surf, I surf. If I know its going to be big, I take the day before off.
    Also stay active with other things: hiking, mtn biking, indoor rockclimbing, cutting firewood, etc, but I don't count it into my workout routine.
    As others have mentioned, I've been a member at a gym in the past (5 years after college). I would lift - bench, curls, pull-ups, etc and then do some cardio. Once I started Insanity, I realized that I was just going through the motions at the gym and only seeing incremental improvements.
    Also, eating right. I don't necessarily believe in the 80% what you eat / 20% exercise, but its at least 60/40. If you are working your ass off, eat as much as your body tells you to eat, but make sure its good food.

If you are on a budget check out "You are your own gym" by Mark Lauren.
    Can get a copy from wally world or amazon for about 12 bucks. The book is based on body weight exercises that require no equipment and it even has diet plans.

I hit the gym year round but I don't do cardio year round. so I expect the winter months to start feeling gassed during a surf and I put more weight on. But I found that my summer time excersize routine does get me through. so... as the winter starts to wind down I have to kick start my endurance training and I found that adding this routine last year did wonders for me.
    So... I hit the gym regularly/year round. around end of march begining of april I skip a week from the gym and work out at home. Here is the routine. simple and kicks my arse.
    I do this 5 times with a 2 minute break(monday tuesday thursday friday).
    1. 30 pushups directly into
    2. 20 leg lift crunches directly into
    3. 20 one leg squats (back leg on chair, squatting leg and body over that leg.)
    2 minute break, repeat 5 times.

after a few weeks of this in my routine the changes are incredible for me. Lower body strength way up. endurance way up. You should be finished the routine in about 30minutes. The routine will have you totally exhausted, at least for me.
    Good luck

If there are no waves I will go paddleboarding. It helps a lot and is a lot of fun exploring different parts of Long Island. Otherwise I just do pushups/pullups/situps.

Surfing requires strong shoulders and arms for swimming out to the surf, and primary strength and balance for riding them back to shore. Currently I am start:
    100 jump ropes

100 jumping jacks

30 pushups

30 situps

15 step-ups

10 burpies

-mile run

And if none of this works, check out the "Smoking Before Surfing" thread.

Images
    ^ yes!

I guard every summer, but in the winter I've been doing a mile run on a track that takes 9 laps for a mile (I know, UNCW has a **** indoor track as of late). In between each lap, on each side of the track I do half the distance in alternating/walking one-leg squats and sprint the second half, rest on the turn, then repeat, then go back to a run/jog. You don't need muscle for surfing, you need endurance. Try to exhaust yourself and recover multiple times. 100% to 30-40% and repeat. Pretty similar to Insanity.

Kettlebells are amazing. Great for working out the whole body specially the core.

Quote Originally Posted by SurfHunterD View Post

Kettlebells are amazing. Great for working out the whole body specially the core.
    Yes, KBs are excellent and easy to use dynamically. But...there is a fair amount of room for injury with certain full body KB compound movements when superimposed on each other (hang clean to front squat to push press, etc) so proper instruction is key. Just as with surfing, if you hit the weights as an uneducated renegade, things could go wrong. I'm happy to help anyone needing form help or ideas for KBs.

Quote Originally Posted by wet suit = no tourists View Post
    If you are on a budget check out "You are your own gym" by Mark Lauren.
    Can get a copy from wally world or amazon for about 12 bucks. The book is based on body weight exercises that require no equipment and it even has diet plans.
    And buy a Swiss Ball (stability ball). So many functional training exercises that can be done with these. They're dirt cheap. Foam roller for flexibility too is only 15-20 bucks.