LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 71
  1. #61
    for those that are lazy, cheap or older, but still need to do something between sessions:

    Monday, Wednesday, Friday (or every other day):
    * 3 sets of 14 push-ups (no time limit between sets)
    * 35 squats (no weights)

    Tues, Thurs, Sat:
    * 50 sit-ups

    Also, try to get in a 30 minute walk every day. The faster the better.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    When starting this routine, only do one set of 14 push-ups, 20 squats (or when you start feeling the burn), 30 sit-ups and a shorter/slower walk. After a week or two, add another set of pushups, few more squats, more sit-ups and longer/faster walks (never rush into any training routine, or risk injury). Do the exercises slowly and deliberately, don't just jam through them. Form is everything.

    This abbreviated "workout" will just be enough to get you popping up on your board, not have rubber legs during bottom turns and a little cardio so you don't burn out in an hour. I've done this even just 2 weeks before a trip and it helped a lot.

    It won't do much for your paddling (don't know what will, other than maybe a specialized weight machine). I've found that if I surf even only as little as 3 days a month, it keeps paddling muscle activated. But, if I skip even one month, my next session is super weak. Of course, there's a lot of factors that go into that (body type, years surfing, etc), so ymmv.
    Last edited by waterbaby; Jun 1, 2013 at 04:52 PM.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    in the grace of the most holy FSM
    Posts
    3,067
    screw all that bs...THIS is my new routine:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-50GjySwew

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    I can't work out .... I'm exhausted after reading this post...
    Then maybe you should spare the 6 kilocalories required to read said past as well as forgo the 12.7353 kCal that would be spent STFU.

    Repeat regularly, if not compulsively, and you'll find yourself lean and mean if not like the next Rambo.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Monmouth County
    Posts
    1,150
    Take a kick boxing class or a mixed martial art.Learn a skill and get in shape all at once.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Annapolis
    Posts
    146
    spend a month with P90X, you'll want to do the whole 90 days! (gotta stick with the diet plan, too!

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Monmouth County
    Posts
    1,150
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    screw all that bs...THIS is my new routine:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-50GjySwew
    Lol good stuff.Next time the beach is packed im heading to my break like that.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    VA Beach
    Posts
    916
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    screw all that bs...THIS is my new routine:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-50GjySwew
    "Prancercise"?? No kidding.
    Actually, I believe a saw two guys doing something similar in San Francisco.
    It was during Fleet Week back in the 80's, and several shipmates and I had walked into to the wrong bar.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    MD - VA
    Posts
    2,988
    Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    Then maybe you should spare the 6 kilocalories required to read said past as well as forgo the 12.7353 kCal that would be spent STFU.

    Repeat regularly, if not compulsively, and you'll find yourself lean and mean if not like the next Rambo.
    You have no sense of humor, sparky, yet you have an unmitigated opinion on EVERYTHING. And you like to tell people to STFU, go screw themselves & any number of other unpleasantries. You're special. That's what the mirror tells you every morning, eh?

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    MD - VA
    Posts
    2,988
    Quote Originally Posted by waterbaby View Post
    for those that are lazy, cheap or older, but still need to do something between sessions:

    Monday, Wednesday, Friday (or every other day):
    * 3 sets of 14 push-ups (no time limit between sets)
    * 35 squats (no weights)

    Tues, Thurs, Sat:
    * 50 sit-ups

    Also, try to get in a 30 minute walk every day. The faster the better.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    When starting this routine, only do one set of 14 push-ups, 20 squats (or when you start feeling the burn), 30 sit-ups and a shorter/slower walk. After a week or two, add another set of pushups, few more squats, more sit-ups and longer/faster walks (never rush into any training routine, or risk injury). Do the exercises slowly and deliberately, don't just jam through them. Form is everything.

    This abbreviated "workout" will just be enough to get you popping up on your board, not have rubber legs during bottom turns and a little cardio so you don't burn out in an hour. I've done this even just 2 weeks before a trip and it helped a lot.

    It won't do much for your paddling (don't know what will, other than maybe a specialized weight machine). I've found that if I surf even only as little as 3 days a month, it keeps paddling muscle activated. But, if I skip even one month, my next session is super weak. Of course, there's a lot of factors that go into that (body type, years surfing, etc), so ymmv.
    Good stuff.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    86
    +1 on kettlebells, I started using them in my warmups before my WOD and I feel like it affects the same muscles that get weak during surfing.

    And I am DEFINITELY going to start prancercising.