LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 71
  1. #41
    Just bench press and ignore the rest of your body. You'll look super cool. HOW MUCH YA BENCH?!?!?!

    Call me when you grow hair on your back and can bench more than 525 pencilnecks

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by DosXX View Post
    I noticed quite a few runners who surf, or surfers who run. I ran track and x-country in HS and one season of track in college. This was back in the early 70s in So Calif. I was a half miler. It's been all road running since. I'm 57 and still at it. In HS, we used to run down to the beach, put in a couple hours of body surfing and girl watching then head back home. About a 10 mile round trip. Steal a few oranges from trees and eat them along the way. Maybe sneak into the rich folks' country club swimming pool. Good times.
    I asked about the pros/cons of running for surfing. I have been running for recreation and exercise for about 6 years now (3-4 miles/day). It obviously has benefits for cardiovascular endurance, but was concerned if it had a bad effect on surfing down the road, especially when I get older with my joints.

    Anyway, I found that combining running and trips to the gym to be the most effective for my surfing. I would sandwich the gym between my running days. If there are waves I'll substitute surfing for the gym. There are days where I'll feel really tired than the usual out in the water, even though my routine has not changed, and I attribute that to diet. At some point I'll start to pay closer attention to what I eat, but not now.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,794
    Quote Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
    There are days where I'll feel really tired than the usual out in the water, even though my routine has not changed, and I attribute that to diet. At some point I'll start to pay closer attention to what I eat, but not now.
    Diet will definitely play a big role in that, but so will exercising too hard the day before, or even two days before a surf session. I try to rest the day before or even two before a session depending on how big it's going to be out. If it's under head high it's usually not an issue, but when it's pumping out I like to have 100% of my strength and endurance, so backing off the throttle just before paddling out I think helps. If you surf daily then i'd simply cut back on the gym, it'll exaust your muscles before you even hit the beach.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    1,016
    Images
    24
    Every spring, I paddle my local lake on my longboard in my winter suit. Great training. I feel great when I paddle out. Also, get a medicine ball and do sit-ups and throw the ball to someone to catch it. Repeat.

  5. #45
    Glad u picked up a copy of that book. It's by far the best fitness book I have come across.

    Joint problems due to running are caused by impact on the joints. I'm sure improper care for injuries account for a lot too. High impact activities like running have more damaging effects on your joints than a low impact activity like swimming or surfing. I'd be interested to see the number of muscle related injuries (strains, pulls and tears) versus joint related injuries (rolled ankles, blown knees or hyper extended extremities) in surfing. The best thing you can do to avoid injuries like that is REGULAR stretching. I would advise older guys 40+ look into glucosamine and gluetamine (sp?). Basically anything that promotes muscle regeneration and joint health.

    I'm not questioning your insight on running but I think your views might be a little biased or polarized. But then again I only run if I'm being chased. Another good exercise to do is kock-ups do 5 a day for a week.

  6. #46
    Mclovin

    Try eating fruit or a granola bar or something with some complex carbs and or protein. Believe it or not, the Gatorade primes are great pre surf treats. Try switching up supplemental lifts. For example, instead of doing angle bar tricep pulldowns use a straight bar or do skull crushers instead. Just a simple lift change or lighter weight with more reps will help out with muscle endurance. If you get to a "stand still" strength wise after six weeks then do a completely different routine. Muscle memory will kick in if you hit the gym enough and you'll have to figure out another plan of attack.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Science mother****er
    Posts
    2,796
    Quote Originally Posted by gnargnarshredda View Post
    Glad u picked up a copy of that book. It's by far the best fitness book I have come across.

    Joint problems due to running are caused by impact on the joints. I'm sure improper care for injuries account for a lot too. High impact activities like running have more damaging effects on your joints than a low impact activity like swimming or surfing. I'd be interested to see the number of muscle related injuries (strains, pulls and tears) versus joint related injuries (rolled ankles, blown knees or hyper extended extremities) in surfing. The best thing you can do to avoid injuries like that is REGULAR stretching. I would advise older guys 40+ look into glucosamine and gluetamine (sp?). Basically anything that promotes muscle regeneration and joint health.

    I'm not questioning your insight on running but I think your views might be a little biased or polarized. But then again I only run if I'm being chased. Another good exercise to do is kock-ups do 5 a day for a week.
    You should read the article I posted. I am not biased, I have experience and have researched the topic. There is plenty of medical research into the effects of running on the body. Impact is not always bad for joints. Let's be honest, injuries are common in both running and surfing. However, in running, you can prevent all injuries by doing things the right way. You are in control of every part of the workout. In surfing, you cannot control the ocean, so even the most advanced surfer can be injured. I am not advocating one over another. I run 6 days a week and surf as much as possible. I just feel that the whole joint injury thing is blown out of proportion with running, and it tends to give people an excuse not to do it. Do it right, and the studies show that your joints will be in better shape than most non-runners. In all honesty, I don't care what anybody else does for exercise, as I have my own thing that works for me. I just like to stop the spread of misinformation.

    http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...948208,00.html
    http://www.npr.org/2011/03/28/134861...ill-your-knees

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by gnargnarshredda View Post
    Mclovin

    Try eating fruit or a granola bar or something with some complex carbs and or protein. Believe it or not, the Gatorade primes are great pre surf treats. Try switching up supplemental lifts. For example, instead of doing angle bar tricep pulldowns use a straight bar or do skull crushers instead. Just a simple lift change or lighter weight with more reps will help out with muscle endurance. If you get to a "stand still" strength wise after six weeks then do a completely different routine. Muscle memory will kick in if you hit the gym enough and you'll have to figure out another plan of attack.
    Thanks for the tip. I normally do core exercises and mess around with dumbells just like you said, light weight with lots of repetitions. I never do anything that forces me to "grunt", hehehe. I haven't done a bench press in years.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,794
    Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post
    You should read the article I posted. I am not biased, I have experience and have researched the topic. There is plenty of medical research into the effects of running on the body. Impact is not always bad for joints. Let's be honest, injuries are common in both running and surfing. However, in running, you can prevent all injuries by doing things the right way. You are in control of every part of the workout. In surfing, you cannot control the ocean, so even the most advanced surfer can be injured. I am not advocating one over another. I run 6 days a week and surf as much as possible. I just feel that the whole joint injury thing is blown out of proportion with running, and it tends to give people an excuse not to do it. Do it right, and the studies show that your joints will be in better shape than most non-runners. In all honesty, I don't care what anybody else does for exercise, as I have my own thing that works for me. I just like to stop the spread of misinformation.

    http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...948208,00.html
    http://www.npr.org/2011/03/28/134861...ill-your-knees
    Agreed, I stopped running for a while and I noticed my knees and legs went to sh*t, so I bought a nice pair of Brooks running shoes (the proper shoes make a world of difference) and started jogging / running after work each day and have noticeably improved my knee and leg issues and am in much better shape now that I incorprated this back in to my routine.

  10. #50

    test

    test
    testtest