LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: lost the stoke

lost the stoke

so i'm 25 years old i feel like i've lost that stoke i used to have. i'd skip work and anything with girlfriends if i knew there were waves. i'd almost never sleep in if there was a chance of waves. now here i am sleeping in, working instead of surfing and drinking the night i know there are going to be waves in the morning. i was in costa rica a month ago and even though i didn't score perfect waves it felt great to be in the water but haven't surfed since. i need help. i used to base ever decision i made around when i was going to surf. any suggestions? am i missing something? have i just plateau'd ? help me please!

Things run there course in life sometimes dude. Constantly changing. Try snowboarding is my advice.

Images
    cold water turns a lot of people off. i don't blame you. try watching some surf videos at night. say screw work and just go man. youd be surprised what a solo session can do for you. like today for example, it was like 2-3ft+ and kinda onshore in VB but it was so fun! try different boards or try different spots. once you get into repeat mode (unless it's like pipe or something) try a different local spot. mixung it up is always the best way to fuel the stoke.

A new board does wonders....

change spots, or better yet, take a trip. that always works for me.

Same here...

I've been on a three-year decline. I think the crowds kinda started it for me. That and I'm 37 and most of my buds just don't do sh-t anymore - no surfing, nada. But I like all the suggestions here. I've branched out to snowboarding, wakeboarding, slalom waterskiing and mountain biking to fill the void. They're all pretty damn fun. And uncrowded with a little selective planning. The other activities sometimes motivate me to surf again. I like being able to say I was behind a boat, on a mountain, and surfing all in the same week.

I don't mean this in a derogatory way, but maybe it's time to look for some new friends? Sure, keep your old lazy-ass ones but try to find some people with some motivation you can feed off a little. You can also try to reciprocate a little motivational action to your lazy-ass friends--they might appreciate it.

LBCrew is right too: GET A(some) NEW BOARD(s).

No worries though Seamonkey, I hit the same thing at about the same age--it's temporary. MWS, I'm 34 so we'll see what happens when I hit 37.

Erock you young punk. Just tuned 48 last week and the only thing that really gets harder is getting motivated to hit the cold water in winter. Still only ride a shortboard too

Images
    I feel your pain. I am now 42 years old and I wasn't feeling the stoke on Tuesday evening when it was firing here in Delmarva. I believe my issue is related to the cold water. I am sick of wearing a full suit with a hood, boots and gloves. The waves were pumping, but I was having a bad session, not finding my groove. Dropping in late, out of position, non-stop paddling due to heavy rip, and getting drilled attempting to get barreled. My last paddle out before dark, I just stood there looking at the 6ft cold nasty waves detonating just 10 yards in front of me. I decided to not bother paddling out and headed back to my car.

Well my cure is coming in two weeks. I am heading to Puerto Rico for a surf trip. Warm waters and fun waves, can't wait.

It's the winter. Go treat yourself to a new board or at least strip your board and re-wax it. Throw in some Sublime and you're set.