LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: lost the stoke

OK, I turn 50 this year, but only started when I turned 25. Do I still have stoke? YES!

But Sandy actually stoked my stoke. She took surfing whenever I wanted away. And after 2 months of that, I'll never miss session. Warm, cold, early, snowing, sleeting, rain, sun burn, whatever Mo nature throws at me.

"DUDE DUDE.... try these nachos". Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by arabseamonkey View Post
    wow just this advice alone already has gotten me checking reports looking for the next chance to surf. i really feel like its just that one session or even one wave to get that feeling i used to have back. thanks everyone for your help, except zippy? what are you the lord of the ocean? just because i'm only 25 doesn't mean its a passing fad, i don't think 2 decades of dedicated surf is a passing fad. a rough patch of deciding where my life is headed is more of what is going on, i was just looking to see if anyone else had felt this way and how they got through it. i know i now have a few ideas what i need to do. so again, thank you everyone
    You started a pretty good thread & gave us all pause to contribute some positive stuff.
    Although the thread should end here with your post, unfortunately it won't - - - there's a hijack alert on the horizon.

Reason being, the black smoke has been spotted & the proselytizing crew are about to hijack what was an intelligent thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    It's not for everybody and that's fine, just drop out, I don't understand having to ask for ideas to get the drive back.

I raised salt water corals and fish. I did it for 10 years and was fairly well known for propagating captive corals. Eventually I lost interest, sold all of my equipment and moved on. I never once thought about going online to reef central.com to ask how to get the excitement back. I think it's fine to ask for advice, I personally don't understand it.
    This is an interesting angle on it. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    You started a pretty good thread & gave us all pause to contribute some positive stuff.
    Although the thread should end here with your post, unfortunately it won't - - - there's a hijack alert on the horizon.

Reason being, the black smoke has been spotted & the proselytizing crew are about to hijack what was an intelligent thread.
    agreed. thread (at least in my mind) ends here. i'm glad i got some people to stop and contribute some positive stuff

I had to think really hard about this one. What keeps me stoked are those few seconds where my brain stops running a million miles a second and is turned off; but more turned on than it ever is. When all the rest of the world disappears and I don't care about anything or feel anything except the wave. And then it's over.

Quote Originally Posted by arabseamonkey View Post
    so i'm 25 years old i feel like i've lost that stoke i used to have. i'd skip work and anything with girlfriends if i knew there were waves. i'd almost never sleep in if there was a chance of waves. now here i am sleeping in, working instead of surfing and drinking the night i know there are going to be waves in the morning. i was in costa rica a month ago and even though i didn't score perfect waves it felt great to be in the water but haven't surfed since. i need help. i used to base ever decision i made around when i was going to surf. any suggestions? am i missing something? have i just plateau'd ? help me please!
    Sounds like low testosterone

http://www.androgel.com/low-testoste...toms-quiz.aspx

[QUOTE=yankee;158561]One other note: the booze at night isn't helping. It makes you weak, it seduces your mind & saps your will, it makes it easy to stay inside, makes it easy to rationalize not going to the effort of getting the gear, makes it easy, so easy to basically, gradually, gently let John Barleycorn become numero uno & everything else fades to second place.

Been down that road. You're young. Fix it now. It's not a road you want to travel. One man's humble opinion.]

I have nothing to add that hasn't already been said. A lot of good stuff. Ditto Yankee's comment on the nightly drinking. That will kill more than just your stoke. Before you know it, it will replace the things you really love. I too have been down that road.

That's awesome news I hope more people lose the stoke so there's less people surfing. Maybe it will catch on!

QUOTE=arabseamonkey;158489]so i'm 25 years old i feel like i've lost that stoke i used to have. i'd skip work and anything with girlfriends if i knew there were waves. i'd almost never sleep in if there was a chance of waves. now here i am sleeping in, working instead of surfing and drinking the night i know there are going to be waves in the morning. i was in costa rica a month ago and even though i didn't score perfect waves it felt great to be in the water but haven't surfed since. i need help. i used to base ever decision i made around when i was going to surf. any suggestions? am i missing something? have i just plateau'd ? help me please![/QUOTE]

Sorry to come late to this party but, 52 this year. Surfing since 4th grade when i got my orange plastic fantastic. That board is long gone but not the stoke. Its not for everyone, most of the guys i surfed with early on are done with it. I cant imagine my life without it. Still love dawn patrol the best and its the only thing that can get me out if bed at that time.

Go with the flow, the water might just call you back. Then again maybe it wont! Good luck either way.