LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I would have liked to see if he made the wave...

Images
    Should there be some limitations to the priority rule?
    If the surfer without priority is riding a wave well before the surfer with priority even paddles for the wave, then maybe the surfer with priority doesn't have a right to that wave. Makes sense to me.

Images
    Thats just straight up competition priority. It has to be there... That was actually not the worse instance of it during this contest... I think it was the 4th round heats, Brett Simpson got a crap wave, pulled off immediately to paddle back to the peak... The other guy was like 100 yards back coming back to the point. Simpson basically took off on another wave before the guy even got back in position, and he got hit with a penalty for breaking the priority rules. In the interview after the heat, he and all the guys were pissed about it. He was saying "It was a sh** wave, I obviously jumped right off the back so that I didnt have to lose priority... The other guy was sitting out of position thinking Brett maintain his priority and the judges dinged him... That was a shame... Simpson would have advanced... it was a bogus call. That was way worse than the slater incident... Everyone was pissed just because it was suck a sick wave... and in my opinion, Parko was too far back and it would have closed out... Maybe he would have had a miracle... He is insane in the barrel... But I think he would have blown it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    Brett Simpson got a crap wave, pulled off immediately to paddle back to the peak... The other guy was like 100 yards back coming back to the point. Simpson basically took off on another wave before the guy even got back in position, and he got hit with a penalty for breaking the priority rules..
    Thats interesting....i dont even understand how Brett Simpson broke priority rules in that situation you describe. I thought that the guy WITHOUT priority (Simpson) could still take off on a wave, as long as he was IN NO WAY interfering with the guy who at that point had priority (The other contestant 100 yards away)

In other words, Simpson could take off on a crap wave and kick out - lose priority - and then still take off on a second wave and get scored - as long as the other surfer (now with priority) didnt go after the second wave.
    Last edited by scotty; Mar 14, 2013 at 06:31 PM.

Does Parko have to stand down when Kelly took off? I don't think he would have made it anyway but it would have been cool to come blasting from behind out of the barrel.

Kelly was totally right for doing what he did. He wanted to secure the victory, knows the rules and used them to his advantage. It would have been so sick to see if Parko could have made that wave, but it was like a 50/50 I think.
    That heat was so sick! The whole time I was yelling and screaming like it was a football game or something(I am not really into team sports though)
    I think Surfline Admin makes a valid point that should be considered. However rules are rules.
    Parko or Kelly, they both rip. Its a privilege to get to watch them surf, especially together in a final like that one!

He had to do it... And Parko said he would do the exact same thing. If they removed the prioity rule they would just keep paddling around each other

Quote Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
    I wonder if Parko would've made it out of that wave anyway since Kelly barely did
    Hes the world champ in a tight heat.. give him a little credit

Even with all the world titles, appearing on BayWatch, sponsorships, dating Pamela, and the ability to say he's surfed pretty much every good wave on the globe, his name is still Kelly. Perhaps its like Cash's song 'Boy named Sue.'

Quote Originally Posted by Manisses View Post
    Even with all the world titles, appearing on BayWatch, sponsorships, dating Pamela, and the ability to say he's surfed pretty much every good wave on the globe, his name is still Kelly. Perhaps its like Cash's song 'Boy named Sue.'
    kelly is his middle name; his first name is robert.