LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thoughts on Bigger Shortboards

Hey guys,
    I'm looking at making the transition to a shorter board; I've been riding a 7'4" and want something easier to duckdive and more maneuverable. I'm bigger than the average surfer; 6'3" and 192ish and have been trying to decide what size and dimensions of board to look for. I would say I'm probably an advanced beginner and don't want to make too drastic of a jump and go through a long and frustrating relearning process by doing so. I was thinking something around 6'8" with maybe 20 inches width and 2 1/2 or 2 5/8 thick. But I was reading on swaylocks and some guy had these things to say about longer shortboards,

"the 6 6 to 7 foot range boards are no mans land. the only performance surfing you will do on these boards are in heavy powerful barreling waves."

"i see lots of bigger guys and old guys riding big guy type shortboards and mini guns.it doesnt do their surfing any good, because they all surf to far back on the tail due to the length.so your feet, relative to the rocker makes you unable to switch weight forward for rail drive. Its sad watching these guys stalling the board and trying to surf top to bottom and blowing out all the speed."

So that got me wondering and looking for some other thoughts and advice. Do you agree with him or not? Maybe I should look for something 6'6" range with a little more volume and thickness to it? Thoughts are much appreciated.

Images
    6'4'' x 20''1/2 x 2 5/8 Channel Islands Gravy. Perfect board for any conditions.

be careful w/ swaylocks...there's some great info & advice to be found there, but it's mixed heavily w/ eccentric oddballs. BUUUT...i agree w/ that. i would suggest something like an egg or the like from your local shaper. where are you located? ricky carroll makes some great boards that would fit what you're looking for & still allow you to progress your surfing. he also works primarily w/ eps/epoxy, so his boards tend to be a bit more dent & shatter resistant. i think your idea of dims is pretty solid, too.

Quote Originally Posted by RIsurfer View Post
    6'4'' x 20''1/2 x 2 5/8 Channel Islands Gravy. Perfect board for any conditions.
    worst. surfboard. ever.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    be careful w/ swaylocks...there's some great info & advice to be found there, but it's mixed heavily w/ eccentric oddballs. BUUUT...i agree w/ that. i would suggest something like an egg or the like from your local shaper. where are you located? ricky carroll makes some great boards that would fit what you're looking for & still allow you to progress your surfing. he also works primarily w/ eps/epoxy, so his boards tend to be a bit more dent & shatter resistant. i think your idea of dims is pretty solid, too.
    I'm in VB so that gives you an idea of the waves I'm surfing most of the time and the occasional OBX trip

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    worst. surfboard. ever.
    Not sure about the gravy, buuutt

I was just in the same position and got rid of my 7'2" funboard. The shop I sold it to gave me credit on a used 5'10" channel islands biscuit in great condition. Supposedly it's good for smaller waves. I've only had a chance to ride twice in not-ideal conditions but it seems like it's going to be a fun ride and a good transition board to a short board. Turns a hell of a lot better than my 7'2"!

I heard the CI Pod is a good transition board as well.

http://www.rickycarrollsurfboards.co...0short%201.htm

grant, go see the good folks at WRV & tell them the same thing you wrote here. they should set you right.

6'4'' stealth that zag posted would be ok for sandbar barrels. but what do you want--more waves or performance? i'd keep riding the 7'4'' til you got experienced enough to know what you want. but once you get on the new board ledge its hard to walk away...buy a thick,wide fish. don't go too small. 6'6'' x 21. get used to trimming down the line. any board around 20 inches wide will be easy and fun to ride.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantLee View Post
    I was thinking something around 6'8" with maybe 20 inches width and 2 1/2 or 2 5/8 thick. But I was reading on swaylocks and some guy had these things to say about longer shortboards,

"the 6 6 to 7 foot range boards are no mans land. the only performance surfing you will do on these boards are in heavy powerful barreling waves."
    Grant,

here's my 2 cents..I personally love riding boards in the 6'2 - 6'8" range. But the one "big guy shortboard" I once had I didnt like. It was a Tim Nolte 6'8" x 20" x 2 5/8" and it was not much fun in anything smaller than shoulder high and even the slightest bit mushy. Like the Swaylocks guys said, big barreling waves it was fine, but that was about it.

I have since had a couple of 6'4" - 6'6" tri fin eggs (like 6'6" x 20 5/8" x 2 5/8") with a decent amount of rocker that paddle better than the big shortboard, barrel ride as good, and arent that much different to duck dive. VA beach has pretty soft waves too...I'd stay away from the scaled up shortboard shape if I were you.

Images
    go for a 6' hypto krypto plenty of volume and its a blast to ride