LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

got my first board, have a few questions

hey guys, i am going on a trip to florida in april and was going to rent a board, but i got the chance to buy a used board for only a little bit more than renting one for a few days would be. It is a channel islands rob machado signature series 6' 4'' by 18 7/8'' by 2 3/8''.(It also came with fins, traction pad, leash, and board bag) I was just wondering what size rider and what types of waves this board is for. I just couldn't find this board online (probably an older model) so any info on it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

heres some pics if that helps.009.jpg007.jpg006.jpg014.jpg012.jpg
    Theres a couple small dents on the top and bottom but the only damage that goes into the board is the ding on nose, how would i fix that?

Images
    what is your height weight and surfing ability .

Im 5'9'' 140lbs and ive never surfed before haha, but i skimboard, snowboard, skateboard so ive got pretty good balance.

Balance isn't the issue... more about timing the waves, catching them, and standing them... I am sure you would do fine staying on a board balance-wise.

That board may be a little short. I had a few buddies who were really good skaters and snowboarders, but bobbed around in the ocean like a cork on a 6'4" board not being able to catch anything. The guy I am thinking of specifically was a lot bigger than you though at like 6'3" and 200.

This may be a better board for long term, but your rides over the trip may be limited unless you get a short longboard or some kind of funboard.

especially in florida... I am from NY, but i go to florida frequently (West Palm area) and I have a 6' 1" that I rarely use because its flat (Moreso, in late spring like April than in the winter). I usually end up just riding my log on ankle high waves if I am lucky

thanks, im staying in cocoa beach for about a week and possibly go down to sebastian inlet for a day or two. What size waves would this be good for? and when the water gets warmer i will be surfing RI frequently, how would it perform there?

Quote Originally Posted by cole View Post
    thanks, im staying in cocoa beach for about a week and possibly go down to sebastian inlet for a day or two. What size waves would this be good for? and when the water gets warmer i will be surfing RI frequently, how would it perform there?
    That is probably preferred in waist and higher waves. Normal FL waves are under waist high. I suggest finding a fun shape. It has some of the float you find in a log, but can turn fairly well. It also helps you get used to shorter boards. I can catch anything from ankle to waist high with my 7'4" fun shape.

when you go to sebastian inlet, make sure you paddle out to the main peak and introduce yourself to everyone. it's common courtesy when visiting a break.

First off i agree with all these guys ^ borrow or rent a funshape, prob like a 7foot something, super floaty easier to catch waves, once you get the hang of it, might take a little while. Some excel faster than others, i got thrown on to a short board first and it was a little discouraging at first but i was a little 12 year old and didnt give a **** when people saw me eating it.
    HOWEVER, i would say if you dig it the first few days on the funshape, dont be scared to try out the board you got.though it will likely be a little tuff at first . Lastly try to go out when its kinda empty the first few times so you can get your **** together and nobody gets pissy that youre in their way.
    Have fun good luck