close ad [x]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Full deck traction pad?

Just curious about the pro/con of a full deck pad. Seems like a good idea to protect the board from pressure dings.and no need to wax. What about performance? I never see a short board with deck pads and I figured it must affect the board...extra weight?

one's chest and stomach might not think its such a great idea... I doubt I would go for it.

Images
    say goodbye to your nipples

I have a couple of boards with full deck traction that I use to kite surf. On occasion, I have surfed them and in the winter, in a fullsuit its fine. In the summer it will kill your chest, stomach and thighs. Even with a shirt on, the rash will get gnarly.

I think Julian Wilson may occasionally use a front foot traction pad. But I'm pretty sure you don't see it more often b/c of the rash that would ensue.

I just don't think it's necessary. It really is not a weight issue. A freshening up with good, sticky wax is all you really need if you change your wax with the seasons.

I'm not certain of this, but I seem to recall hearing that Roy Stuart is experimenting with this concept. Only on his boards that sell for $250k, though; not the $500k sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by superbust View Post
    say goodbye to your nipples
    Ah...did not even think about board rash. I guess if you only surf cold water(wetsuit) it would be ok.

Images

Let's not forget inner thigh rash. it's murder on a long walk back. More than once, I've taken the trunks off walking back around Fort Story to 80th.

Living on a sailboat with a waxed board isn't easy, and i can't ride a popout. So i have a full deck. i always use rashguard shirt and shorts. It's no worse than a waxed board with no shirt. The only reason for no wax is the boat. Do any other sailing surfers particularly in the tropics have other ideas?

Place this code at the end of your tag: