LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Full deck traction pad?

Just curious about the pro/con of a full deck pad. Seems like a good idea to protect the board from pressure dings.and no need to wax. What about performance? I never see a short board with deck pads and I figured it must affect the board...extra weight?

one's chest and stomach might not think its such a great idea... I doubt I would go for it.

Images
    say goodbye to your nipples

I have a couple of boards with full deck traction that I use to kite surf. On occasion, I have surfed them and in the winter, in a fullsuit its fine. In the summer it will kill your chest, stomach and thighs. Even with a shirt on, the rash will get gnarly.

I think Julian Wilson may occasionally use a front foot traction pad. But I'm pretty sure you don't see it more often b/c of the rash that would ensue.

I just don't think it's necessary. It really is not a weight issue. A freshening up with good, sticky wax is all you really need if you change your wax with the seasons.

I'm not certain of this, but I seem to recall hearing that Roy Stuart is experimenting with this concept. Only on his boards that sell for $250k, though; not the $500k sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by superbust View Post
    say goodbye to your nipples
    Ah...did not even think about board rash. I guess if you only surf cold water(wetsuit) it would be ok.

Images

Let's not forget inner thigh rash. it's murder on a long walk back. More than once, I've taken the trunks off walking back around Fort Story to 80th.

Living on a sailboat with a waxed board isn't easy, and i can't ride a popout. So i have a full deck. i always use rashguard shirt and shorts. It's no worse than a waxed board with no shirt. The only reason for no wax is the boat. Do any other sailing surfers particularly in the tropics have other ideas?