LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What to do?

Quote Originally Posted by StuckontheGulf View Post
    Duct tape does not keep water out. My friend once had an earache so we duct taped the crap out of it. He looked funny as hell and after the surf when we undid it, it poured water out. We got a true lol out of that one.
    Something tells me the bond between a smooth plastic surface and tape is better than the bond between something absorbent (like skin) and tape. I have used duct tape on cracks with no water penetration. I didn't leave it on more than a week. The adhesive does break down over time.

Thanks for all the advice guys! Ya you would think the extra layer of glass would add some weight but it's actually relatively light (must be the epoxy).

So after asking for advice I got impatient and ended up going to the hardware store, buying some polyurethane, and using it for the repair. Might have been a stupid move but we'll see how it works out. I removed the delaminated area with an exacto, sanded it up, cleaned the surface with paint thinner, and used a foam brush to apply a thin layer and push it into all the cracks. I'll probably be sanding lightly and applying a second coat tonight, and maybe another the following day if necessary. This might end up being a lesson in what not to do, but it only cost $15 so here goes nothing...attached some pics below!

IMAG0248.jpgIMAG0246.jpgIMAG0247.jpg

Images
    I'm confused.

Did you reglass it with some fiberglass?
    or did you cut out the deliminated glass with the knife and just replace it with brushed on resin?

Dude... did you use any cloth?

Go with the suggestion of getting another one from CL.

Then, give your old stick to a local bar as long as they promise to hang it in on a wall or ceiling in full view. Then you can go have a beer with the old gal whenever you miss her.

Do not trash it, donate it to Son Followers Ministry.

Impacting the coast for Jesus

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by pinkstink View Post
    Thanks for all the advice guys! Ya you would think the extra layer of glass would add some weight but it's actually relatively light (must be the epoxy).

So after asking for advice I got impatient and ended up going to the hardware store, buying some polyurethane, and using it for the repair. Might have been a stupid move but we'll see how it works out. I removed the delaminated area with an exacto, sanded it up, cleaned the surface with paint thinner, and used a foam brush to apply a thin layer and push it into all the cracks. I'll probably be sanding lightly and applying a second coat tonight, and maybe another the following day if necessary. This might end up being a lesson in what not to do, but it only cost $15 so here goes nothing...attached some pics below!

IMAG0248.jpgIMAG0246.jpgIMAG0247.jpg
    Hey bud, if I'm readin this right, you might have screwed the pooch. Couple of questions:
    1) is it a polystyrene (EPS) core?
    2) did you put paint thinner directly on the foam?
    3) did you use polyester resin?
    4) did you not use any fiberglass sheet material?

Might be able to help, maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by sonfollowerssurf View Post
    Do not trash it, donate it to Son Followers Ministry.

Impacting the coast for Jesus

Wayne
    Settle down Jesus, the board is in Massachusetts.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahuna Kai View Post
    Settle down Jesus, the board is in Massachusetts.
    I don't want that POS board, man. I only ride customs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus View Post
    I don't want that POS board, man. I only ride customs.
    See, Jesus has high standards. He doesn't even want that board.

Thanks Jesus, you're swell.