close ad [x]

Thread: Little Nuggets

Little Nuggets

Hey, has anyone surfed a short fat (chode) board at all? Something like the Mini Simmons, Firewire Sweet Potato or Baked Potato. They look like a lot of fun. Wondering what you think about them.

No one here has ever heard of those boards. I think you are just making them up. Next you'll probably combine a name and call a board a Potatonator... Just kidding... Do a post search. There is a ton of valuable information on Mini Simmons's and other "short Fat boards"

lost motivator - so much fun

Thanks! Found a lot on the mini simmons. Not much on the baked potato. Ill keep looking around for info.

picked up a christenson ocean racer (his version of the minisimmons) last may. thats pretty much all i rode last summer, before we finally started getting some hurricane swells. its pretty damn fun and makes those small days a blast. it wont replace a longboard for those super gutless days, but will replace some longboarding days where its a bit too small for a small wave shortboard. i actually just rode it a couple weeks ago on a "leftovers" day where it was like knee to thigh with an occasional waist high set and it was a gem. mine is a twin with glassed on keels.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bo View Post
    Hey, has anyone surfed a short fat (chode) board at all? Something like the Mini Simmons, Firewire Sweet Potato or Baked Potato. They look like a lot of fun. Wondering what you think about them.
    I've had two mini simmons (5'8" x 22" x 2 3/8" twin and 5'7" x 22" x 2 3/8" quad) for the past two summers and like others said they make knee high waves fun, and absolutely go off in lined up waist high waves. Slow gutless 1-2 foot waves are no problem as long as they are lined up a bit. Forget about chop though. They seem to get up and go way faster than a log. I found myself enjoying doing a bunch of turns on waves that i wouldnt have bothered with even on a longboard in previous summers.

No experience with the firewires you mentioned, except to notice that the Swet Potato seems way on the thick side. I dont like the feel of "corky" high volume boards.
    Last edited by mitchell; Mar 20, 2013 at 03:05 PM.

The Sweet Potato does not have to be as thick as a lot of people think. I do a version where a lot of extra volume is due to a dead flat deck... literally NO dome or crown whatsoever. The rail, however, has a performance rail volume and radius. The trick is an angular bevel that is basically a primary rail band that slopes down into turned, modern rail profile at the rail apex. The rail bands come together at the nose to form a natural beak, but in the tail they're a bit more blended. The tail is also not as fat and round... pulled in at the tip, more like a really wide rounded pin. The key to their performance is to keep the overall volume about equal to a fish or Mini Sim... so you end up going extremely short... I say, "as short as you dare." This keeps them really skatey and responsive, and not too corky in the rail. Definitely ride them under 5'6.

Place this code at the end of your tag: