LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    40F water def will hasten the denial process. 5 cold ones to the head without a pause and the dinosaur part of my brain says get out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by arby View Post
    40F water def will hasten the denial process. 5 cold ones to the head without a pause and the dinosaur part of my brain says get out of the water.

Coldest water I felt all season on the first duckdive this evening, my guess 37F. I made it out and caught a few decent ones on the sets as the tide bottomed out.

Fantastic pic. Good stuff, thanks for posting.

Took me 25 minutes to paddle a log out 2 weekends ago into head high-OH surf in Monmouth county. Tried one beach paddled paddled paddled, realized I was barely off the beach and was getting pounded, so I walked maybe 200 yards down, tried again, and after about 10-15 minutes finally made it out. The feeling of just barely making it over the lip of the set wave, knowing you are home free, is the greatest feeling in the world.

That being said, I need to get a winter shortboard

Though according to some people there are no hard paddleouts in Jersey, but my favorite spot, where I was that day, is definately one of the most challenging I've ever dealt with compared to other spots.
    And I have never surfed anywhere besides NY/LI, but I feel like jetty/bar breaks must be pretty tough, since there is no channels or predictable reefs.
    I think some people just want to act "cool". Me, I'm just there to have fun
    Last edited by ThatSlyB; Mar 20, 2013 at 03:01 AM.

Images
    IMO the entire east coast is a difficult paddle out with any size. I was in El Salvador and the waves were way bigger than today and I could make it out with a dry head.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    IMO the entire east coast is a difficult paddle out with any size. I was in El Salvador and the waves were way bigger than today and I could make it out with a dry head.
    Agree with this insight.
    In my limited experience: Diamond Head pulls you out with rips that are dry-hair conveyor belt. Nica can be that way, too. CR, just wait for the breaks in sets & out you go. DR can be interesting when it's big but usually scoot & shoot.
    Haven't been everywhere, but east coast beach breaks can be a veritable pounding.

Glad to see people with experience who agree.

I was just bringing it up because I remember a post where someone was asking about easier paddle outs and an argument ensued with a couple of people talking about how there are no hard paddle outs in Jersey.

Fortunately for me and I think most people, usually you can paddle out, and if no, you can always get desperate enough to jump off the jetty

Have to agree... surprisingly nasty paddle out yesterday. Just the repeated duckdives alone had my head ringing. Also surprised by the size late in the day. Around 4:30pm it totally turned on... consistent overhead sets and most waves were makeable. The swell seemed more organized, and the timing with the dropping tide synced perfectly for the late day session. Where I was it was no turns... no barrels... just point and shoot walls.
    Last edited by LBCrew; Mar 20, 2013 at 11:04 AM.

Images
    +3...My travelling experience is limited, but I third that motion.

this coast is self regulating. If you can't get out, you probably shouldn't be there.