LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big Close outs

Quote Originally Posted by Kahuna Kai View Post
    turn away from the wave or Hawaiin dive it.
    what does hawaiin dive it mean?

pulling out is safer and no one gets pregnant

Punch through the back MFitz

If its overhead and powerful I will ride straight toward the beach in front of the wave and jump off my board feet first then tuck into a ball.

If its under head high or so I will just punch through the back of the wave...IF you try this when its really heavy you will get sucked back into the wave and go over the falls..NOT FUN!

I have heard pros say the safest place is inside the barrel. Sometimes you pop right out the back and miss the impact of the lip. You never want to dive in front of your board.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbug View Post
    I have heard pros say the safest place is inside the barrel. Sometimes you pop right out the back and miss the impact of the lip. You never want to dive in front of your board.
    alot of the time they relate that towards bigger waves, i watched a teahupoo documentary and they say ( i think it was andy irons?) the only reason why people don't die there as much as they should is because the wave breaks so large and onto a hard reef it creates a massive cushion of air when the wave breaks, which keeps you safe...... im sorry but a 40 ft cushion of water just seems terrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahuna Kai View Post
    Punch through the back MFitz
    I always called that the Hawaiian pullout. By far the safest and most effective way to get out of a closeout situation.

Of course if the foam ball gets you in the barrel, cover your head and try to enjoy the ride.

Never, ever dive forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    Never, ever dive forward.
    This is by far the best advice I have ever read on this forum.

Personally, I just punch through the back like others are sayin. Or eat it. I had a great one at Ponto a couple of weeks back where I rolled along the bottom for a while. Hooray for sand and deep water.

i learned about the hawiian dive from a similar thread last year on this site...all you do is bottum turn as sharp as you can, using the momentum to dive through the face of the wave. if you do it with out speed, you might have to do a stroke or two so the passing wave doesnt catch you by the feet and suck you back down...it's a safe and effective move, and i get better at it everytime i do it.... if i can find the old thread ill post it, because someone shared some nice example videos of Kelly doing it.