LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rethread an FCS screw hole

The board I picked up yesterday has a stripped hole in the leading, right FCS plug. I'm going to need to rethread it before I can ride it. Bummer, but no complaints ($380 and that's the only thing except a heelie or two, woop woop). Anyway, anybody have a recommendation on what kind of epoxy to use as filler in the old screw hole?
    Also, anybody know what tap and die size to use?

Thanks, ZG

This is what I would try:
    1)If there's any thread texture left in the hole, take the end of a tooth pick or a sliver off a wood matchstick and put it in the hole then thread the screw back in there, It'll hold.

2) go to the marine shop and get one one size bigger, the soft plastic might take it. If you think it might crack the plastic then drill it out just a little.

Redneck ingenuity, but I know it's tough to wait to try new gear.

jbweld will work. i used it to rethread a seized hole in a carbon mtb brake lever. prepare some, put it right inside the hole, thread the screw and let it harden. overnight is ok. next day carefully remove the screw and you'll have a new shining thread inside.

I'm gonna try the toothpick shim trick, just for tonight, that's a good one. I am gonna do a solid repair on it though, things that aren't fixed right bug me.

Thanks fellas.

From KSUSA site - sounds about right

Screw Style
    Standard Socket

Material Type
    Stainless Steel

Finish
    Plain

Stainless Steel Type
    18-8 Stainless Steel

Point
    Cup

System of Measurement
    Inch

Inch Thread Size
    10-24

Decimal Equivalent
    .190"

Hex Key Size
    3/32"

Length
    5/16"

Thread Fit
    Class 3A

Rockwell Hardness
    B80

Specifications Met
    American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)

ASME Specification
    ASME B18.3

Set Screw Quantity
    Individual Screw

McMaster-Carr: Part Number: 92311A239
    $7.82 per Pack of 100

Good luck
    Jim

If you have a decent tap set you may be able to salvage the old threads. If not fill it, re drill, and tap the new holes

Images
    Hey Gaff, there are a couple of things you can do, first the toothpick thing might work, remember there is a lot of pressure on the fins, and I don't know if I would chance it by losing a fin, it could screw up a good sesh... now the jb weld seems like a good idea but I wouldn't put a set screw in there an leave it to dry you may not be able to get that sucker out, then your doubly screwed, you could fill the hole and let it dry, drill it and tap it out again, you would need a #25 drill bit and a 10-24 starter tap...drill it slow and somewhat at the same angle, take your tap and slowly screw it in the hole (don't use force) with a small adjustable wrench. get a stainless set screw and your in business or you could drill it out to the next size which would be a 12-24 starter tap with a #16 drill bit. Same process as above, hope this helped you out brotha
    Last edited by fl.surfdog; Mar 22, 2013 at 02:50 AM. Reason: cause i can

Thanks folks. I picked up a 10-24 tap and some lock-tite. It's curin now, figure I'll drill it out tomorrow. The Mrs. is packin up the house and the toothpicks are who knows where, prolly in one of many boxes labeled "kitchen". Just have to wait until tomorrow to get her wet.

Surf was alright tonight.

Hey Gaff, just a word of caution, if you've never used a tap before don't try to tap the entire length in one pass. Get the tap aligned in the pilot hole and started then only turn it 1 1/2 -2 turns then back it out 1/4 - 1/2 a turn to let the material clear. then just repeat until you've tapped the entire length. Those little taps are relatively fragile so you sure don't want to break one off in the hole as they are hard as hell and a real pain to drill out.

I have had a similar problem recently. I got a new board with some damaged fin boxes. One was missing its screw completely and appeared to be pretty stripped. Instead of messing with it and making it worse, I just took a larger FCS screw from one of my other boards and put that baby in there. (Which I was kind of confused about, because why would some FCS plugs have bigger screws than others? But I just rolled with it.) It bored out the hole a little larger, and was harder than average to screw in, but it held really tight. It works well and can still be removed to change out fins. Maybe it was not as bad as what you have going on, Z, but it worked for me. Just like Phonics.