LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    full the fin plug with a bunch of guerrilla glue or JB weld, insert fin. Wait 24 hours. fixed forever.

I would refill the hole with a liquid plastic. let is dry. drill a new hole slightly smaller then the screw. then work the screw into the new hole.

Quote Originally Posted by surf dog View Post
    Hey Gaff, just a word of caution, if you've never used a tap before don't try to tap the entire length in one pass. Get the tap aligned in the pilot hole and started then only turn it 1 1/2 -2 turns then back it out 1/4 - 1/2 a turn to let the material clear. then just repeat until you've tapped the entire length. Those little taps are relatively fragile so you sure don't want to break one off in the hole as they are hard as hell and a real pain to drill out.
    I've tapped a hole or two ; )

Very good advice all the same. Like my pop always said, “Don’t force it.” I’ve been wrenchin on cars since fore I got my license and I’ve got a rental property, so I got a pretty deep tool box. Not too worried about breakin the tap though as I’m dealin with a “ of plastic and the remaining oem material is pretty thin. More likely to snap the little lip on the box itself. Hence the need to fill, drill and tap.

Quote Originally Posted by macgregorsmith View Post
    I have had a similar problem recently. I got a new board with some damaged fin boxes. One was missing its screw completely and appeared to be pretty stripped. Instead of messing with it and making it worse, I just took a larger FCS screw from one of my other boards and put that baby in there. (Which I was kind of confused about, because why would some FCS plugs have bigger screws than others? But I just rolled with it.) It bored out the hole a little larger, and was harder than average to screw in, but it held really tight. It works well and can still be removed to change out fins. Maybe it was not as bad as what you have going on, Z, but it worked for me. Just like Phonics.
    I’m pretty sure someone else tried that fix at some point, which probably exacerbated the problem:

You can tell someone else “tried” to fix it (the hole on the right). It’s thin on the top and they smeared some epoxy around it too, making a mess, which I have to sand off now (yeah, I’m that OCD). I masked the hole with tape, inside the box and on top and then cut out the hole itself with an Exacto before injecting the epoxy mix. I think they also tried the “coat the screw with oil, then epoxy or superglue, then jam it in the hole trick” too. The screw itself had some hard plastic stuck to the threads, which probably further widened the hole, effing the whole thing up worse. As far as different size FCS screws, are you sure that both boards had genuine FCS plugs, lot of knock offs out there coming from China?

Quote Originally Posted by leethestud View Post
    full the fin plug with a bunch of guerrilla glue or JB weld, insert fin. Wait 24 hours. fixed forever.
    “Fixed like a dog.” As my grandpappy would say.

I have no idea why people don’t just fix things properly the first time. ‘Specially when you’re talkin bout a board that cost near $800 by the time it got out West. Eh, I ain’t worried about it, I got it for a steal.

Speaking of which, if anyone is looking for an absolute deal, check this out, such a sweet board. That’s not San Diego in the background though. Far closer to where this board was made. Makes me wish it was fall and I was there.

5'10 griffin 5 fin

If I’m not mistaken, those fins are also GG’s and are worth a solid bill alone:

"For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary full of vodka, blessed are thou amongst cocktails. Pray for me now in the hour of my death, which I hope is soon, Amen." ~ Sterling Archer
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Mar 22, 2013 at 07:49 PM.

Well, I figured I butter <POST> up a how to on this, since it went two pages. Maybe somebody'll get something out of it. First one I've ever done. Pretty much a piece of cake, here's how I did it.

Step 1) Go to Home Despot and buy some Lock-Tite "Plastic" epoxy and a 10-24 tap.
    Step 2) Clean the fin box tab hole thingy and the screw hole. I used isopropyl alcohol and qtips as the whole thing has to be dry too.
    Step 3) Mask the box off. Make sure you get inside the hole as well as out. Like so (only I hadn't cut the hole out yet, that's later):

Step 4) Shove some coins in the slot. This will ensure that if the epoxy expands or the tape is not stuck on that the box doesn't get ruined.

Step 5) something looks wrong. Better add more tape.

Step 6) Cut out the hole:

Step 7) Mix up the epoxy and shove it in the hole. I just sliced off the end of the qtip I used to clean the hole with.

Step 8) Let it sit overnight or longer.
    Step 9) Drill out the hole. I left a penny in there so I wouldn't drill through the plastic on the other side.

Step 10) Tap the hole. Go slow and be gentle.

Sand out any mess (left by the last guy) and there you go, good as new.

Ah yes you have turned a wrench or two. Maybe this will help some of the younger guys, nice job

Images
    Good job Gaff...and that's how its done kiddies, as my grandpaw sezs!!!

Damn fine work, Gaffer.

I like the use of the coins; nice work!