LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: Shallow Spots

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Ocean City Nj
    Posts
    325
    Images
    1

    Shallow Spots

    panatian.jpg
    This is insane. One Palm, panatian island indonesia. I dont get how anyone can surf a heavy barreling wave over such a shallow/exposed reef. Whats the shallowest spot you ever surfed?

  2. #2
    Salsa Brava CR.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    450
    Images
    26
    I was surfing quepos on the other side of that point in CR, I was watched a guy come out of the water at Salsa Brava and it looked like his arm went through a meat grinder.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by 34thStreetSurfing View Post
    I was surfing quepos on the other side of that point in CR, I was watched a guy come out of the water at Salsa Brava and it looked like his arm went through a meat grinder.
    the Salsa Brava I'm referring to is in Puerto Viejo on the Caribe side
    Last edited by chicharronne; Mar 26, 2013 at 12:27 AM. Reason: can't spell yhe, tje, thr, forget it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    in the grace of the most holy FSM
    Posts
    3,500
    to that spot, i would simply say, "no thank you" & stay in the boat. shallowest spot i've surfed w/ actual consequences was a spot called p-land in panama...dry suck rock at the take off, lots of rocks lurking just below the surface on the inside.

  6. #6
    Blew the take off and bounced off the jetty in SL NJ once... full suit saved my a$$.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Mission Beach/Spring Lake
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by Gfootr View Post
    Blew the take off and bounced off the jetty in SL NJ once... full suit saved my a$$.
    Done that a few times haha.

  8. #8
    playa negra at low tide

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    3 hrs. from sand
    Posts
    52
    I've surfed P-land too! On 11 foot, it'll take you all the way from P1 to P2 (I think I have them in the right order) to Leftovers, the longest ride I've ever had on a surfboard. Literally had to kick out midway through Leftovers because my thighs hurt so bad! Anyhow on day two I decided to log there and my fin actually hit one of the two big rocks that expose there and chucked me right over the handlebars. One of the crew that goes with us was from Fort Myers and was way out of his league and actually dragged inside at P-land over that whole reef and it's like a foot deep and really sharp. We almost had to leave him overnight on Silva Island because he was afraid to paddle back out and couldn't find a channel. He eventually made it back out; we had to suture his foot shut that night with about 30 stitches and get him pretty rummed up. Sketchy spot at times. You definitely have to steer around some big rocks when it's sucking out.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    in the grace of the most holy FSM
    Posts
    3,500
    Quote Originally Posted by tubesock View Post
    I've surfed P-land too! On 11 foot, it'll take you all the way from P1 to P2 (I think I have them in the right order) to Leftovers, the longest ride I've ever had on a surfboard. Literally had to kick out midway through Leftovers because my thighs hurt so bad! Anyhow on day two I decided to log there and my fin actually hit one of the two big rocks that expose there and chucked me right over the handlebars. One of the crew that goes with us was from Fort Myers and was way out of his league and actually dragged inside at P-land over that whole reef and it's like a foot deep and really sharp. We almost had to leave him overnight on Silva Island because he was afraid to paddle back out and couldn't find a channel. He eventually made it back out; we had to suture his foot shut that night with about 30 stitches and get him pretty rummed up. Sketchy spot at times. You definitely have to steer around some big rocks when it's sucking out.
    oh man! that's gnarly! i "found" a few of those rocks my first trip there after getting worked & caught inside. nothing like your friend, but gnarly enough to spook me away from the spot for the rest of the trip. definitely left my share of flesh on rocks. claimed my step up on my second trip, too.