LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shallow Spots

little hawaii in avellanas CR at low tide

Surfed chaterra (pr pipeline), crashboats

I've surfed all over the world but to this day the worst shallow water wipeout was in rodanthe during a tropical storm. I take off on a wave, the bottom drops out, I pile drive into about a foot of water. Broken board, broken nose, dislocated shoulder, sprained wrist, extremely hurt feelings and pride.
    Last edited by leethestud; Mar 26, 2013 at 12:17 PM.

fort point, sf; middles, pr; sands in sb can get iffy at times. middles is sketch sometimes though. literally the water "feet" in front of you sucked dry with riding the left. hate reef bouncing. taking the duct tape off at the end of the trip is even worse! thats for sure.

Lagido and some surrounding breaks in Portugal. Nothing like being slammed and stuck inside on a lower tide with millions of sea urchins. I'd take a coral reef slam over infective urchine needles on a hard rock.

Quote Originally Posted by shoreboy View Post
    Lagido and some surrounding breaks in Portugal. Nothing like being slammed and stuck inside on a lower tide with millions of sea urchins. I'd take a coral reef slam over infective urchine needles on a hard rock.
    Another good one is Piniones outside san juan in then "haitian town" got out at low tide had one go right through my left big toe, lost the nail. good thing the locals came up and had me laughing. told me to piss on ,my toes and pull slowly and sure enough it came out with limited pain.

Images
    Most of the waves I surf on the east coast are very shallow... However they are sand, so it is a bit different.
    When you surf shallow reef, you can get pulled into the reef easier then getting pulled into the sand, because generally the reef isn't completely solid and has a porous nature that lets water flow through it, and can suck you to the bottom along with it. And, of course reef hurts a lot more.

Sand bottom breaks none the less, can give you a beat down. My buddy dislocated his clavicle on the last big swell we had.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leethestud View Post
    little hawaii in avellanas PR at low tide
    Surfed chaterra (pr pipeline), crashboats
    Puerto Rico definitely has some gnarly reef breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gfootr View Post
    Blew the take off and bounced off the jetty in SL NJ once... full suit saved my a$$.
    Done that a few times haha.

Quote Originally Posted by 34thStreetSurfing View Post
    I was surfing quepos on the other side of that point in CR, I was watched a guy come out of the water at Salsa Brava and it looked like his arm went through a meat grinder.
    the Salsa Brava I'm referring to is in Puerto Viejo on the Caribe side
    Last edited by chicharronne; Mar 25, 2013 at 11:27 PM. Reason: can't spell yhe, tje, thr, forget it.

Lacerations--Nusa Lembongan, Indo
    Shallow isnt as important as what's on the bottom. Getting bounced off sand vs live branch and fire coral is no comparison, and Ive never seen anything as shallow and alive as Lembongan.

Shallowest spot would be this spot in Kona called Robs Reef. About 1 out of every 5 waves would suck dry on the takeoff. This Australian guy was out there with us and found it hilarious when you had to pull back from the wave to avoid hitting dry reef. He would just give you this **** eating grin and say "not much water under that one huh mate?"

Worst beating from hitting the bottom though was at Pendleton during Leslie. It was about a head high barrel that was wider than it was tall. Was too deep in the barrel and got slammed into what felt like 6 inches of water. I thought I broke my hip, my side was bleeding, wind knocked out of me, and probably had a bit of a concussion. Super pissed I didn't make that wave. That thing was HOLLOW!