LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Sleeping in a car in Hatteras is a right of passage...
    Just find a beach lot and do it!
    I've never heard of anyone getting hassled, but can't speak for everyone.

I went down there one time with no plans and at some point in the night we determined which house was definitely empty (there are lots) and parked in their driveway and slept in the car until morn. The next day ran into some people one of us knew from school and ended up in a big house with hot tub and ocean views. Good luck.

Good advice and go for the "apple ugly" at the Orange Blossom.

sleep in your car at truck stops or rest stops on the highway, those are the safest. Leave you car unlocked incase the police need to wake you up or anything urgent comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by leethestud View Post
    just go to cape hatteras national sea shore campground. Last time I stayed there we drove up, just picked a site, filled out a card, and stuck it in the drop box. If the ranger comes around looking for an adult tell him your dad is out on a charter boat or your parents or out on a date or something. Just be low key and don't act like unsupervised kids... and you will be A.O.K. Worst case you get kicked out, right?
    That. You can easily sleep in the car there, too, and at 17 it would almost be like a must experience.

Hey bud I live in buxton, right by the lighthouse, and all of the campgrounds are closed. That being said, there are a number of spots to hang. So much of this island is huge beachfront property so personally, I would park under one of or many different houses down here that have hot running water (hot showers while staying in a vans is key) and is 20ft away from the ocean. Just watch for people doing construction on their place. Sandy and this last large swell f-ed up a lot of the island's beaches up in rodanthe and here buxton, but there are a ton of places to chill all up and down the island. Some people might get pissed if they roll up to their place with a bobcat and you are there washing off the saltwater but definitely don't pay someone to stay on their property and REMEMBER it is better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission. Have fun, be save, and the waves have been sick for the past few days so I hope you get some good ones.

Good one. Though I would think no one is that stupid to leave the water heater on while no one is staying there..

A large bank account does not equal a high I.Q. or common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqua boy View Post
    Hey bud I live in buxton, right by the lighthouse, and all of the campgrounds are closed. That being said, there are a number of spots to hang. So much of this island is huge beachfront property so personally, I would park under one of or many different houses down here that have hot running water (hot showers while staying in a vans is key) and is 20ft away from the ocean. Just watch for people doing construction on their place. Sandy and this last large swell f-ed up a lot of the island's beaches up in rodanthe and here buxton, but there are a ton of places to chill all up and down the island. Some people might get pissed if they roll up to their place with a bobcat and you are there washing off the saltwater but definitely don't pay someone to stay on their property and REMEMBER it is better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission. Have fun, be save, and the waves have been sick for the past few days so I hope you get some good ones.
    Totally agree with this. We did this a few times when I was younger. Find a house with no cars and park under it. Make sure it's a rental property though...easy to tell by the signs. This time of year only a few of the houses are rented, so it should be easy pickings. I'm thinking Avon would be your best bet. Way more rental properties than Buxton. Watch out for the ghosts of the ancient Kinakeeters though. Avon is their home.

Hey tuono, here's an even better one. I live down here and go hot tubbing under these "not so stupid people's houses" with my hot girlfriend all the time. Before you say anything, first do your research and find out if you even know what you're talking about. This was not a thread so you could be a D*CK.