LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Wife Approved Surf Trip

I need to get away somewhere, wife needs to come too. She doesn't surf. Does anyone have any recommendations for places to stay (specific hotels or condos) that would allow me to grab my board and walk to a decent, consistent break, so I could get a couple sessions in a day without making a big deal about it or dedicating the whole day to surfing?

I did this in Hawaii for my honeymoon. Stayed at Prince Kuhio condos in Kaui which is right across the street from PKs. Was able to do a DP sesh and usually an afternoon sesh every day and still have plenty of time for other activities, of which there were many to choose from. No time spent driving around or hiking to spots. Don't need world class waves, just something waist-head+ high hopefully to have fun on.

Thinking somewhere in Central America this time. Anytime May-July. Doesn't need to be dirt cheap but nothing too fancy needed, ideally less than $1,000 for a week of lodging.

Thoughts / experiences? Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by SHREDSLED View Post
    I need to get away somewhere, wife needs to come too. She doesn't surf. Does anyone have any recommendations for places to stay (specific hotels or condos) that would allow me to grab my board and walk to a decent, consistent break, so I could get a couple sessions in a day without making a big deal about it or dedicating the whole day to surfing?

I did this in Hawaii for my honeymoon. Stayed at Prince Kuhio condos in Kaui which is right across the street from PKs. Was able to do a DP sesh and usually an afternoon sesh every day and still have plenty of time for other activities, of which there were many to choose from. No time spent driving around or hiking to spots. Don't need world class waves, just something waist-head+ high hopefully to have fun on.

Thinking somewhere in Central America this time. Anytime May-July. Doesn't need to be dirt cheap but nothing too fancy needed, ideally less than $1,000 for a week of lodging.

Thoughts / experiences? Thanks...
    Costa....just leave the wedding ring off dont ask dont tell lol!

Images
    Or CA if you dont want to leave the country. That is by far the most easily accessible. In SoCal, your wife can sit in a tiki bar right off the beach and watch you surf while she enjoys cocktails.... there aer thousands of easy choices there.

Zunsal/El Tunco El Salvador

Quote Originally Posted by ukelelesurf View Post
    I check the webcam for El Salvador on Surfline all the time, and it's almost always perfect waves in the Chest - Head, sometimes DOH+ range

I haven't been in many years so maybe its changed... but last time I was there it was not the kinda place you take a wife unless she is the low maintenance/ make your own adventure sort...maybe a more friendly touristy tamarindo vacay

Images
    Went to El Salvador this time a year ago. 8 straight days of HH to overhead perfection. The place we stayed was within a 5 minute walk of a really amazing right hand cobblestone point that pretty much just kept firing all day with maybe a few hours in the mid afternoon where the on-shores became a factor. I kind of have to agree with the guy above...I'm not sure how much there is to do down there for a non-surfing wife, but if she likes hanging out in perfect weather by a pool overlooking epic waves, consider it, because you wont find better waves.

The view from the hotel:
    Last edited by mitchell; Mar 28, 2013 at 06:34 PM.

CR is definitely a contender, went there with her before we were married and had a blast, plenty of good waves and also other fun stuff. Have been to SoCal too many times.

mitchel, that waves looks insane. What is the name of the hotel?

Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    The view from the hotel:
    Yep, that's the one, surfline's cam for this spot is money