LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question

Question

Im a regular footer. I wanna learn to ride goofy. Mostly lefts around here and its alot harder to judge the wave when you really don't see what is going on. Has any one learned to ride switch and what helped you to get there.

I've tried on several occasions to learn to ride goofy... just for the fun of it. for me its like totally starting over. If this is even a conditon lol.... Im extremely right handed and have never really had a successful go at riding goofy.

Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    I've tried on several occasions to learn to ride goofy... just for the fun of it. for me its like totally starting over. If this is even a conditon lol.... Im extremely right handed and have never really had a successful go at riding goofy.
    What he said.

I play around with it from time to time. Frustrating to say the least. Look for a day with some soft lined up lefts and try to maybe bring a bigger board if you have one. Paddle hard, get in early with your board already pointed down the line and just hop up goofy - don't hop up regular and switch stance standing up like some people try.

First of all, you don't need to switch your stance to ride lefts, go backside. It's actually a little bit easier to get barreled riding backside, but it takes time...if you still don't buy into what I'm saying, then by all means try surfing switch, but expect it take a lot of time and practice...it's right up there with learning how to walk again. Some guys, ie Jamie O'brien make it look real easy, but it's like starting over as far as learning how to surf.
    Good luck.

I'm gonna give it a go. I rather ride facing the wave and know wats coming. All goofy footer on longisland are lucky bastards. We barely get rights here. I just Don't know how to go about it.

When you're not in the water, practice by skating switch

if you learn how to ride backside correctly you should have no problems seeing the wave (Hint: it has to do with your shoulders)

Learning to go both frontside and backside is part of the fun of getting better at surfing. It's also a lot easier to learn to go backside than it is to learn how to ride switch. I'd perfect going backside 1st, then after that start messing with switch. Otherwise, you'll never be able to go backside, switch or regular...

because we usually get rights where i surf, for like 7/10 breaks, and being goofy footed, i have learned to ride backside as good as frontside. i think being able to shred backside is as fun (cutbacks) and more unique anyway. it never seemed appealing to try learning switch just because it is easier. theres no way id be dropping in switch in some of the waves/places i surf anyway, as its sketchy enough sometimes with what i am used to.