LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Images
    Weds 4/10 at 6:30 newport city council meeting...info on surfrider R.I. chapter facebook page.

idk man banks were sweet dont get me wrong i was there every weekend there was no waves, but have you skated chelsea?

Surfline is running the story too.

Newport's about to feel the power of the Force I hope.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    Surfline is running the story too.

Newport's about to feel the power of the Force I hope.
    May the force be with Newport.

this all comes down to the guy that owns that mansion on the point not letting them use his land to reinforce the sea wall thereby forcing them to come via sea.

the answer is simple, we burn down that guys house.

Images
    ^ I like the way you think. Eff that guy and his 20 million dollar mansion.

Images
    One way to slow things down would be to start "reporting" sightings of indigenous endangered wildlife in the area. I know this creates alot of angst locally in my area when someone's project is derailed because of a bog turtle or tree frog. Then the project must be revised to accomodate said animal, but only after intensive ecological study which can set the project back a year or so. I would not condone this in typical situations, but if it were to save a stand out EC break then thats a different story. Case in point, look at how piping plover has restricted access to areas of the outer banks. Their breaks are still in tact.

i dont get why they would want to put a jetty in there its all legde. Its not like its gonna erode. they could easily just repair the cliffwalk with concreat for short money.

Quote Originally Posted by surfrr View Post
    One way to slow things down would be to start "reporting" sightings of indigenous endangered wildlife in the area. I know this creates alot of angst locally in my area when someone's project is derailed because of a bog turtle or tree frog. Then the project must be revised to accomodate said animal, but only after intensive ecological study which can set the project back a year or so. I would not condone this in typical situations, but if it were to save a stand out EC break then thats a different story. Case in point, look at how piping plover has restricted access to areas of the outer banks. Their breaks are still in tact.
    I'm sorry but this is a bad strategy that damages the credability of the environmental community. Someone with local conservation biology expertice can do a survey (staring with a computer search) for the potential or known occurences of federally listed species on site. (S)he can also review the potential for the project to affect listed species in the area. If any, they can be reported to the U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service. To blow smoke will backfire.

I contribute to the SurfRider foundation. They have a lot of administrative overhead, but I figure who else represents surfers' interests on a national level. This isn't going to be a popular sentiment, but I'm not sure I like the idea of money I've donated going to support an effort to help save a wave that has a terrible reputation for localism. I don't want a prime surf spot to be destroyed, but if Ruggles gets saved through a national effort, or even an East Coast centric effort, shouldn't the vibe change to be more welcoming? I ask this as someone who lives someplace that's considered a "surf destination".

Not that I'm headed East to surf anytime soon, too cold for me.
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Apr 3, 2013 at 02:30 PM.