Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
I contribute to the SurfRider foundation. They have a lot of administrative overhead, but I figure who else represents surfers' interests on a national level. This isn't going to be a popular sentiment, but I'm not sure I like the idea of money I've donated going to support an effort to help save a wave that has a terrible reputation for localism. I don't want a prime surf spot to be destroyed, but if Ruggles gets saved through a national effort, or even an East Coast centric effort, shouldn't the vibe change to be more welcoming? I ask this as someone who lives someplace that's considered a "surf destination".

Not that I'm headed East to surf anytime soon, too cold for me.
The localism aspect of Ruggles is overblown. Don't get me wrong, I've certainly heard the horror stories, and been on the receiving end of a few looks, but like anywhere else, if you show respect, for the most part no one is going to bother you. Don't let the actions of a few pricks and an exaggerated reputation fool you, and certainly don't let that deter you from wanting to save the wave - lord knows we're starved for classic waves that can hold the size around here.

uh-oh, i mentioned the man upstairs, where's wayne?