LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    I contribute to the SurfRider foundation. They have a lot of administrative overhead, but I figure who else represents surfers' interests on a national level. This isn't going to be a popular sentiment, but I'm not sure I like the idea of money I've donated going to support an effort to help save a wave that has a terrible reputation for localism. I don't want a prime surf spot to be destroyed, but if Ruggles gets saved through a national effort, or even an East Coast centric effort, shouldn't the vibe change to be more welcoming? I ask this as someone who lives someplace that's considered a "surf destination".

Not that I'm headed East to surf anytime soon, too cold for me.
    The localism aspect of Ruggles is overblown. Don't get me wrong, I've certainly heard the horror stories, and been on the receiving end of a few looks, but like anywhere else, if you show respect, for the most part no one is going to bother you. Don't let the actions of a few pricks and an exaggerated reputation fool you, and certainly don't let that deter you from wanting to save the wave - lord knows we're starved for classic waves that can hold the size around here.

uh-oh, i mentioned the man upstairs, where's wayne?

ive never had any bad vibes at ruggles. once and a while there will be someone out dropping in on people thinking he is the man, but that Sh!t happens at every break. Ive got mass plates and never had a problem. worst stuff ive seen is over at second beach when its chest high and theres 150 people out. people at eachothers throats over crap waves.

Quote Originally Posted by newenglandflatness View Post
    The localism aspect of Ruggles is overblown. Don't get me wrong, I've certainly heard the horror stories, and been on the receiving end of a few looks, but like anywhere else, if you show respect, for the most part no one is going to bother you. Don't let the actions of a few pricks and an exaggerated reputation fool you, and certainly don't let that deter you from wanting to save the wave - lord knows we're starved for classic waves that can hold the size around here.

uh-oh, i mentioned the man upstairs, where's wayne?
    Beat me to it.

Funny thing is, my buddy and I were up there last fall for the Katia swell driving around with NC tags. We were a freaking novelty for most of the guys in the parking lot at Pt. Judith. Didn't really experience any vibe at any of the breaks we surfed and met some really friendly people. There was a lot of "where the hell is that accent from" immediately followed by "hope you're getting some good ones while you're up here."

Gaff--you wouldn't believe the out of proportion rep Cali has over here!

What's that school that is right in downtown Newport? Those non-locals are probably the ones with the aggro attitude

Ya shaarkbate I have to agree with you. I've only been to Ruggles on a couple of mediocre days but the localism wasn't anything out of the ordinary. The Mass plates didn't get my car keyed, but then again I always park in the Breakers parking lot with the tourists. The spot is mint though and deserves to be saved.

If you go there on a clean overhead day then you have to expect the crowds. There are so many less crowded breaks in southern RI though that it's your own fault if you go there and get hit with a heavy dose of localism.

Absolute travesty. All because some rich Asshole won't let people access to his property.

It better not happen!

Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    Beat me to it.

Funny thing is, my buddy and I were up there last fall for the Katia swell driving around with NC tags. We were a freaking novelty for most of the guys in the parking lot at Pt. Judith. Didn't really experience any vibe at any of the breaks we surfed and met some really friendly people. There was a lot of "where the hell is that accent from" immediately followed by "hope you're getting some good ones while you're up here."

Gaff--you wouldn't believe the out of proportion rep Cali has over here!
    Erock the katia swell was epic might have seen you out there. Scored huge at ruggles 10-15 feet and firinggg! probably the best couple days of surf ive ever had!

Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    Absolute travesty. All because some rich Asshole won't let people access to his property.

It better not happen!

Don't get me wrong, as a Californian/Texan I believe that anything up to the high tide mark should be public domain; but why should he? It's his property, rich or poor, I have the right to privacy and to evict trespassers. If it was a shack on the same acreage, would you feel the same way? What does his net worth have to do with it?

Slippery slope man.

One other thing, is it this individual who's screwin everybody over or is it the RIDOT and the City of Newton? I thought it was the last two? Seem to me this guy just doesn't want a public works project in his backyard, can't say that I blame him.
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Apr 3, 2013 at 07:59 PM. Reason: After thought

Mclovin- Salve Regina is the college you're referring to. locals are known for giving these kids a hard time and maybe thats where you find a lot of "overblown" localism. i feel that the people who get the harshest dose of localism are the ones who disrupt the so-called "pecking order" of the lineup, and dont show any respect. Localism aside, this IS a premier break on the east coast and NEEDS to be preserved. If you don't believe me, take a look for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjUzYMOSTU4

I dont think localism is the issue here. Ruggles isn't as bad for localism as any spot in the South East. In fact, coming from a crowded beach to Rhode Island you would be surprised at the lack of localsim. Sure ruggles my have more of it then other breaks like ****ies or breachway, but if your catching flack you deserve it.

This is about saving a wave, for better or for worse so future generations can enjoy it, and deal with their own "localism" issues in the future. To call off helping out a surfing community for localism is hypocritical and cutting off your nose to spite your face. To say "we shouldn't help those guys because they give us bad vibes at their local break" is a worse form of localism then giving someone the stink eye in the line up.