LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    does the fact that the jetties are temporary matter? Sure interrupting littoral drift of sand and **** factors in, but the break is rock bottom. Won't it regenerate itself after a couple years after the jetties are removed?

The problem with this plan is no one knows what will happen as a result. The proper review channels were not activated to evaluate the impacts of this plan and what the alternatives to it are.

It was approved under an emergency measure. I have yet to hear what the big emergency is.

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    so how did they do it then? Obviously they didnt use jetties.
    I believe the repairs in 2005 were not as extensive, and the contracting company was allowed access at a limited number of properties along a different stretch of cliff walk. The problem is this time around the damaged areas are in different spots than the previous repairs, including a section that has completely collasped.

Quote Originally Posted by trevolution View Post
    does the fact that the jetties are temporary matter? Sure interrupting littoral drift of sand and **** factors in, but the break is rock bottom. Won't it regenerate itself after a couple years after the jetties are removed?
    I think a major concern is that these "Temporary Jetties" wont be so temporary after the repairs are complete. these jetties are expected to be 200 feet long and 40 feet wide, and their will be four of them. one of the jetties is projected to go right down broadway through the break.Ruggles is also known as a premiere fishing spot and nobody knows how these causeways will effect the wildlife.

Rhode island is notorious for dragging out construction and/or not completing the job in its entirety in a timely fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquidneck View Post
    I think a major concern is that these "Temporary Jetties" wont be so temporary after the repairs are complete. these jetties are expected to be 200 feet long and 40 feet wide, and their will be four of them. one of the jetties is projected to go right down broadway through the break.Ruggles is also known as a premiere fishing spot and nobody knows how these causeways will effect the wildlife.

Rhode island is notorious for dragging out construction and/or not completing the job in its entirety in a timely
    fashion.

Ha ha if its going to go straight down the middle of the break it will certainly be "temporary" as soon as the next sizable hurricane swell shows up.

What is all this about bad vibes at Ruggles and/or Newport overall? I surfed a bunch of spots in the area back in '08 while living in upstate NY. I was doing shift work at the time and seldom got the opportunity to surf. When I did, I usually ended up driving 6 hrs overnight, showing up at Spot X before dawn and sleeping in my car for a bit before suiting up. Every time, I would end up sharing conversation in the parking lot with some cool locals. Personally, I thought the town had a great vibe. One guy even let me follow him to a secret spot after I asked him about it (you could see it going off from where we were at the time). I got plenty of waves and met wonderful people. Sorry to hear about the bad experiences that some folks encountered, but those stories are a far cry from anything I have seen at Ruggles or anywhere nearby.

Images
    Same, I've never had any issues anywhere in R.I.

the cliffwalk is three feet wide. they could hire laborers to push wheel barrels of concreat out there to fix it and it would be a fraction of the cost of building four huge jetties jut for moving machinery. sounds like some serious palm greasing going on here. They are definitley trying to get their hands on as much sandy relief money as possible. It would be easy to make a lot of money dissapear into fake hours and expenses with a project like this.

So true. 8 million dollars?! It's crazy. EVERYONE should be up in arms about the way this money is being spent. Not just surfers and environmentalists.

same here

Same here. I surfed 1st beach on a cold, small winter day and the guys in the water were so nice.

Quote Originally Posted by live aloha View Post
    What is all this about bad vibes at Ruggles and/or Newport overall? I surfed a bunch of spots in the area back in '08 while living in upstate NY. I was doing shift work at the time and seldom got the opportunity to surf. When I did, I usually ended up driving 6 hrs overnight, showing up at Spot X before dawn and sleeping in my car for a bit before suiting up. Every time, I would end up sharing conversation in the parking lot with some cool locals. Personally, I thought the town had a great vibe. One guy even let me follow him to a secret spot after I asked him about it (you could see it going off from where we were at the time). I got plenty of waves and met wonderful people. Sorry to hear about the bad experiences that some folks encountered, but those stories are a far cry from anything I have seen at Ruggles or anywhere nearby.