LOGIN | REGISTER

Images

Seasonal Job Openings

I'm looking for a job this summer with the National Parks Service, State Park Service, Wildlife Service, Forestry Service etc. I am from Coastal North Carolina, about an hour from the OBX but I will be taking a trip to southern Cali in early may so I am open to jobs in either state (I'll just stay there if I can find employment). Any leads or ideas are accepted! Thanks!

sequester! You might to need to expand your job search...I know for a fact NPS summer jobs are cut as are internships which sucks because that is step four in my SIS guide to getting a NPS job

1. get degree they need the higher the better (not sure your education/skill set but they don't hire the non skilled/degreed anyway)...if you degree is awesome or multiple... skip to step 6
    2. volunteer there for a year two
    3. make contacts with in the organization or be a veteran
    4. get a summer temp job (is the way most people get their feet in the door)
    5. Work at temp positions until you can get picked up full-time...hopefully in less than a couple years
    6. HIRED!

*not a NPS employee but was looking to break into the public history field after graduate school and this is what I have found to be true from friends within NPS, Public history professors, and an NPS summer temp job seminar i went to this winter.
    Last edited by Stranded in Smithfield; Apr 2, 2013 at 05:04 PM.

Go to the NC Employment Security Commission. They have direct access to all open government and ngo jobs.

Images

Images
    Thanks! And yeah, I hear its really difficult to get in with the NPS. I am currently enrolled at UNCW and working on a parks and recreation degree (graduate in 1 year! Wahoo!). I have to complete 100 hours of practicum work in a related field. Being from a rural area I would rather work outdoors than get stuck inside a cubicle so the parks service is my aim. The goal was to make this a job for the summer buuuuut with the SEQUESTER there is no money anywhere to be had. So it may be that I work a full time job and try to fit this in as volunteer work on the side. I thought I would reach out to my surfing community who may have contacts/jobs/leads. Anyway thanks for the help... anybody have ideas for the west coast?

Get a job

Don't ya love how we don't have money to pay our National Park service employees, but we have billions of dollars to give to Pakistan...God, i love the way this country works!