LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rusty 6'3" Tuflite Shortboard

Hey guys,<br /><br />Just bought a rusty 6'3\" Tuflite shortboard, dims- 18.75 W 2.18 thick. This is my first shortboard, but have riden before. After buying, I was told by a friend that this board is no good for northeast surfing, specifically newport r.i. due to wave size. This contradicts my research and what seller told me (lives in newport). Any one else have input?<br /><br />Untitled.jpg

Images
    Those dimensions are pretty much a "step-up" board for overhead waves where your regular shortboard might not work as well. From the picture, that things got a seriously pulled in nose. I'm not sure a shape like that makes much sense as your first/only shortboard.

As far as northeast surfing goes...well..on those days with the northeast is big and hollow, it might be a good choice, if you like the feel of a tuflite step up board.

Its not a shape most people would pick for the the majority of the stomach-shoulder high days we get a lot on the east coast. Most boards with that kind of shape are pretty rockered out, made for riding in steep critical waves, and might be on the slow side and frustrating in mushier waves, even "normal" waves.
    Last edited by mitchell; Apr 7, 2013 at 01:26 AM.

Images
    More than likely it's not the shape that's the problem......It's the name. As a previous Tuflite owner It's my opinion and lots of others as well that tuflite boards are just a bad purchase. Bought one and sold it the same week. Very hard to get into waves of any kind really. Doesn't paddle well in chop and even a slow get out on a glassy day. I'd recommend getting something else......of any kind. Sure you'll have a couple people that say they like them but personally it was the worst board I've ever owned.

Quote Originally Posted by wave1rider65 View Post
    More than likely it's not the shape that's the problem......It's the name. As a previous Tuflite owner It's my opinion and lots of others as well that tuflite boards are just a bad purchase. Bought one and sold it the same week. Very hard to get into waves of any kind really. Doesn't paddle well in chop and even a slow get out on a glassy day. I'd recommend getting something else......of any kind. Sure you'll have a couple people that say they like them but personally it was the worst board I've ever owned.

Can't agree more...Tuf-Lite is garbage...hate the way it feels, hate the way it floats, hate everything about it.

remember the only people in the world that will tell you what you want to hear are the people trying to sell you something....

Ktodd, I wouldn't get so hung up surfing the "wrong board." How much do you weigh? Yes the board is probably suited for steeper waves but if this board is your first shortboard the most important thing is just getting accustomed to shortboard take offs and riding the face. As for board construction, its a matter of preference.

im 175. im expecting a challenge with this board, im not worried about that aspect. im sure ill get used to it after a few times out. i just was really concerned with how my buddy acted when I showed him this, almost a look of disgust and it kind of freaked me out. i didnt think i was that far off with the purchase. thanks everyone for the input. ill give it a try, see how it goes. worse case senario im sure i can sell.

You can sell it if need be. It's the wrong shape for a first shorty that's for sure. You should have gotten a fish of some sort. As far as the tuflite tech, you may like it. I don't and I have a had two of them. But I have a couple of friends who ride them and rip and really like the quirky floatyness. Also, that board was not shaped, it was made in a factory in Asia. It is a pop out. This is a can of worms I am opening but one could argue that you took the money out of the hands of an american shaper and surfer and used it to support a low paying overseas job. Then again you bought it used. If I was you I would sell it and get a round nosed fish of some sort. Joust my opinion

dude i wouldnt give up on it just yet im 195 ride a 6/5 18 1/2 2 1/2 def gonna need to be at least waisthigh and the learning curve will be alot more but when you finally get it dialed youll be SURFING not just standing up and floating in a direction the harder it makes you work in the ****tier days the better you surfing will be when its finally on

Well... you've already bought it, so just ride it and learn from it. You still have your old board(s), right? When it's good (up into the shoulder to head high range), try the Rusty. When it's small and crappy, ride what you've been riding. As for the construction, if you're relatively new to surfing (not had many boards) you might not be so used to the feel of traditional construction that you'll feel uncomfortable with the change.