LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    replenish the beach without dregding and destroying a sand bar and use the right type of sand grain. That's a good solution right there.
    & how, exactly, would you propose that be done? nevermind that ANY kind of beach replenishment is destructive to the already existing intertidal ecosystem on the beach in question.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    & how, exactly, would you propose that be done? nevermind that ANY kind of beach replenishment is destructive to the already existing intertidal ecosystem on the beach in question.
    I've heard they've done it in the past by not dredging the sandbar obviously and not making it flat when the refill it as well as using the right type of sand.

No replinishment = no sand beach. It will be eroded. The ocean is rising

If you don't replenish the beaches around there then you have to let nature take its course, which means because of a rising ocean on the eastern seaboard that you'll have to get rid of any structures/roads that are near the ocean and let the beach "back up" naturally. Eventually that will happen anyway no matter what we do. You can't stop a rising ocean(over say next 50 to 100 years). A non stop 300 mile long artificial reef is not realistic and would destroy all the fun sand breaks. A reef setup for a few blocks would be really cool though.

That's basically your two options.
    Last edited by shark-hunter; Apr 8, 2013 at 03:20 AM.

Sand sand sand... It's the biggest variable IMHO. Wrong sand equals zero sandbars. Seems like common sense to me. This grainy sand they keep pumping is pretty much useless.. Is there no banks with fine sand left??

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Juliaep View Post
    Here's an article from the Washington Post on an Army Corps of Engineers plan to build up the dunes along the New Jersey Shore. It looks like they'll be scouring the bottom of ocean to get the sand. The article makes no mention of how this will affect the sand bars and surf.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...c63_story.html
    Im a combat vet marine and the corps has always had a rivalry with the Army. This only adds to my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Loggerhead View Post
    surfriders is a joke. i was at a conference here on Long Island not more than a month ago. Major players from the organization were here, and for the most part they are resigned to the fact that the ACOE is going to do what they want. I guess it starts with the local chapter but thats an even bigger problem here. They have to many interests that lay outside the interests of whats good, natural and right. This is a big deal
    I'm a member off and on of Surfrider, and while it does serve a purpose, I can tell you that even as an eco-wackjob, I think Surfrider needs to reconsider its mission statement. It seems no matter how much we complain and want something changed, Surfrider chapters are never happy. Concessions are made but there is always something to complain about it seems. I quit the whole thing because of that. Surfrider chapters here were getting far too extended in other interests, like Snowrider, land based interests like railroad coal terminals; they are losing their focus. No wonder the ACOE and lawmakers have no desire to work with them
    Last edited by sadtaco; Apr 8, 2013 at 05:41 AM.

There's a common misconception when talking about artificial reefs in the context of beach stabilization, and surfing. The misconception is that the reef itself will serve as a surfing resource. While that may be true in some cases, the main purpose of artificial reefs along our coastline would be to direct and control the movement of sand. Artificial reefs alone are not a magic bullet. There is no magic bullet. It is, at best, PART of the answer. What hard structures like reefs can do is create sand bars... engineer an artificial reef system and the sandbars will take care of themselves. This, along with strategic sand pumping, gives us the best shot at beach stabilization, property protection, and resource conservation.

Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    " ...modifications are not in the cards. Policy requires the Corps 'to select the optimal plan, and by that I mean the plan that will reduce the most storm damage for the cost.'"

And THAT'S what's wrong with the whole process... the whole, "business as usual" mindset and approach, who's foundation is built on what's quick, cheap, and and provides the best short term solution. But the problem is not short term, and the solution is not quick or cheap.

I actually get angry when I read bullsh!t like this.

The best way to challenge the science based Army Corp. is to use their "own science" as an alternative as well as economic benefits of surf able beaches in the eyes of local politicians and business community. In the short term play close attention to the size of sand at study sites by the Army Corp., sand is measured in millimeters. So for maintaining ideal surf able sand bars as smaller grain sand packs better is 3mm-5mm while courser sand from 5mm-8mm shifts with long shore currents creating deep drop offs/shore breaks

You guys gotta try to fight this. It's happening everywhere, unfortunately you got it first and the worst, now you get stuck with the burden of creating a model and precedence for the rest of the coast dwellers and surf community. From what I gather, they have pretty much given up on Plum Island in MA, so beating these proposals down is not out of the question.

I'm confused why Island Beach State Park needs these dunes. There's nothing there to protect- which is why I love surfing there.

EDIT: Nothing man made to protect, I mean. Except the governor's mansion and a couple restrooms and lifeguard stations.
    Last edited by bassplayer; Apr 8, 2013 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bassplayer View Post
    I'm confused why Island Beach State Park needs these dunes. There's nothing there to protect- which is why I love surfing there.

EDIT: Nothing man made to protect, I mean. Except the governor's mansion and a couple restrooms and lifeguard stations.
    There should be miles and miles of protected coastline just the way we have national parks. Rather than destroying nature so a small percentage of millionaires can have a vacation home. The coastline is a natural treasure that should be preserved for everyone. We shouldn't be spending tax dollars to subsidize their insurance and reshaping the coastline for property protection