LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Stoked!

Quote Originally Posted by Aguaholic View Post

Lack of skill/knowledge
    Knowledge = knowing the rules of surfing/the lineup. I think you just made pumpmasters point.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    Still not buying it and I started in 1982 so don't assume I'm a newbie. I still think a kook is more about disrupting others then skill level. lack of skill definitely plays a part but the other factors are bigger IMO..
    First off i never was considering you a kook. And if you started in 82' like you said then you should be on the same page as me.

but, see i totally disagree with this. I think you have it the other way around. I would say the lack of skill/knowledge would be the most important factor first. knowledge meaning, how to get out, where to be in the line up, the rules of the line up, how to turn, how to read waves...ect. I'm old school where the word "kook" meant all i described previously. Nowadays it seems the word kook has slightly taken on added meanings.

But disrupting others in the water would be a lack of knowledge. So i guess you could consider that a kook.
    Last edited by Aguaholic; May 2, 2008 at 04:01 PM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by South Bethany View Post
    Knowledge = knowing the rules of surfing/the lineup. I think you just made pumpmasters point.

?

Ok, i can agree with the lack of knowledge part but add the whole poseur aspect since that really makes it easy to spot the obvious kooks.

Images
    Ok, i can agree with the lack of knowledge part but add the whole poseur aspect since that really makes it easy to spot the obvious kooks.
    Hand shake Agreed

eh if you ask me the kook is the guy who sits outside on a day where the waves are knee high and your just messing around with some friends and you paddle for a wave he hasent caught yet then he drops in you pull out and on the way back out he starts saying stuff about you droping in on him when he has taken every half decent wave so far

Images
    ya, I think its the poseur aspect. the people that tell you they surf and they really just do it to be cool. those are the kooks.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo_robinson View Post
    ya, I think its the poseur aspect. the people that tell you they surf and they really just do it to be cool. those are the kooks.
    True, they are kooks....Someone that poses obviously lacks skill/knowledge.