LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Started doing yoga once a week last December. I used to do it back in my 20's, so it's been a minute. I surf 5+ days a week, usually between 1-3 hours a session. Lift weights and run some when it's flat or I'm feeling motivated. But, my job keeps me in a chair and I always had a sore neck and back. Now I don't. Yoga's the only thing I'm doing differently.

My Father In Law's been surfing for 50 odd years. Had to have 3 vertebrae in his neck fused last year. He has lower back pain as well. I got him a paddle air vest last October and he's been using that. Says it helps a lot.

I used to have the same issue and I started doing yoga 4x a week about 6 months ago. Zero lower back pain now. Plus yoga really makes you feel great all around.

I used to pop my back out a couple times a year in the lower back upper buttocks region. Until I moved my wallet to my front pocket. It took me a couple years to get used to it. I'd go for my wallet and it wasn't back there;.

Thanks for all the replies guys, had no idea yoga actually worked that well. I'm seeing a doc on Friday so I'm hoping something can be determined.

I appreciate all the help, you guys rule. Definitely gonna consider all the posts and do all I can to get back in the water pain-free or almost pain-free.

Bikram yoga is great for healing injuries. Helps me with back and knee injuries. Good luck dude

I agree with the yoga suggestions.
    The thing to realize is the site of the pain may not be the cause of the pain- just where it manifests. The arching of the back when paddling a shortboard/fish amy cause pain in the low back because the upper back (thoracic area) isn't contributing to the arch, it is all coming from the lumbar area.
    Yoga is good to help loosen up the T- spine, as well as the hips etc. Also, there is a website Mobility WOD where the guy shows how to improve mobility in different areas (shoulder, T-spine,etc)
    Good luck
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by SlowWideTurns View Post
    Thanks for all the replies guys, had no idea yoga actually worked that well. I'm seeing a doc on Friday so I'm hoping something can be determined.

I appreciate all the help, you guys rule. Definitely gonna consider all the posts and do all I can to get back in the water pain-free or almost pain-free.

smart. hopefully the dr will not find anything serious but its best to get checked before trying any yoga to prevent more serious damage.

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    smart. hopefully the dr will not find anything serious but its best to get checked before trying any yoga to prevent more serious damage.
    Yeah I'm gonna see the diagnoses and talk to the doc about yoga.

Thanks everyone, truly appreciate the insights

I used to suffer from it in spite of doing lots of yoga, until I discovered one yoga exercise which got muscles that the other exercises couldn't reach, and it was cured within a few days. That was a few years ago and it hasn't returned.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Stuart View Post
    I used to suffer from it in spite of doing lots of yoga, until I discovered one yoga exercise which got muscles that the other exercises couldn't reach, and it was cured within a few days. That was a few years ago and it hasn't returned.

....so is this particular exercise a "secret" or something? Will it cost over $500k to learn?