LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: summer board

haha im just kidding man, you get bored when its flat for weeks

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    ...& this explains everything...
    When you are a beginner, long boards promote laziness. That is my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by waverider2 View Post
    haha im just kidding man, you get bored when its flat for weeks
    I imagine Kansas has been flat for a few million years.

My vote is the minisimmons. got one last may and its all i rode last summer until hurricane season. really fun to ride. mines a twin, so its way different to ride and put on rail than a small wave shortboard like a dumpster dirver or something, but its fun as hell for the summer. i rode it in all different surf just for the fun of it- knee high up to head high. its much better in the mushier stuff. no steep drops or late takeoffs. but you probably dont have to worry about that too much in the summer

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post
    When you are a beginner, long boards promote laziness. That is my opinion.
    I dont know whether its laziness, (probably is) or just the nature of learning on a longboard in small waves (extremely easy to get past the frustrating phase of learning to surf really fast, and then just kind of enjoying the fact that you can go down the line on a waist high wave) but since learning on longboards got popular in the past 10-15 years, i've noticed that it really inhibits people developing certain skills.

Suddenly they are two-three-five years into it and they still can't really paddle properly, can't take off on a steep wave, still ditch boards on chest high days, never learned to duck dive and have lineup issues because they've never learned the spot rotation/positioning that comes with sitting in a lineup of shorter boards.

I love longboarding by the way, and this is not a knock on it, just an observation on how it affects the learning curve.
    Last edited by mitchell; Apr 12, 2013 at 03:21 PM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    this just proves my (& many others) point about funboards...& i'm calling bull**** on the statement in bold. 2 fewer feet in waterline means there's no way that it will catch waves the same way my 9'6" log does. it might catch waves as well as a thinned out, rockered out hplb, but not a 23"+ wide, 3'+ heavy log.
    Right, Right......Nothing fun about a funboard unless you just don't know any better cause you've been on nothing else........waverider2.....really........spoofing on me name boi.......

I guess to each their own.....I had a WRV 8ft funshape that was sweet 20 years ago.....but yesterday I found this Hobie 7'6" from the 80's.....Hobie 76 via 1980s.jpg......I'll let you know how it goes, but I got a good feeling

I moved to south Florida a couple years ago from San Diego. I bought a firewire sweet potato for the smaller surf. The board was a great go to for the smaller conditions...super rippable and floats over all the flat sections. I moved back to San Diego six months ago and still use the sweet potato more than any other board in my quiver...up to head high. I have been surfing mostly reef breaks and the potato absolutely kills it! I'm 6'3 and ride a 5'4 sweet potato. The new timbertek baked potato looks insane...I want one so bad but can't justify spending $700 on a board so similar to the one I got!

I have decided not to go with a funshape board or longboard. Im leaning towards to a board like the Coil Megamind or the Lost Couch Potato. The Couch Potato has a more rounded nose is that going to make a bigger difference since theres more foam in the nose?