LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbreak View Post
    the boards do work.
    well yea; no amount of marketing in the world will compensate for boards that don't work. anyone here remember Backyard Boards (BYB) from the mid-late 90's? glassed so lightly & poorly that they'd get pressures in the racks from people touching them. then they'd delam when people rode them.

Quote Originally Posted by catmaster2 View Post
    well then do they make better boards than local shaper's?
    a matter of opinion. many will say no, some will say yes (personally, i think these people are hopelessly deluded sheep). i think it depends on which local shaper you go to & what you want. i have a few CI's in my quiver, a few from a highly respected local shaper, & 1 or 2 from smaller, highly regarded non-local shapers. it's all in what you're looking for.

some will say yes (personally, i think these people are hopelessly deluded sheep
    Truth!!!! Think of it as a car. You can buy a nice GTI or the like and that would be your run of the mill CI type board. Works pretty good but nothing special. Now, take that same GTI to a tuner and you got your self something pretty nice that works good for you. Same with the GOOD local shaper.

I'm pretty sure that "marketing" is the answer... but what comes before the marketing is key. And the answer to that has to do with a few thing, the main one being you gotta be good at designing and building boards, and you have to follow that up with a line of "accessories." Success in the surfboard business, on a scale that you're talking about, has to start with a good product... then you make the public WANT it. And you do that by getting talented kids to ride your boards, compete, and win. (Granted... they're winning on good boards.) Once that begins to happen, the sheep will follow. Then comes that mags... the ads... the sexy models... and once the sheep are fully tantalized, and totally sold ("bought") into your label, they'll buy anything... crappy clothing being the most important!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by catmaster2 View Post
    well then do they make better boards than local shaper's?
    It depends. The term "Local Shaper" is just thrown around like it means the same thing to everyone, when the term is completely subjective.

There are some local shapers who make clunky amateurish boards (i dont believe that just because they ride the same waves I do that their boards will work well),

There are amazing shapers here and there making boards for mostly local customers.

There are local shapers who made it big and now people dont call them local shapers anymore.

So:

Some Channel Islands boards are better than some locally shaped boards for some people.
    Some locally shaped boards are better than some Channel Islands for some other people.

Be an informed buyer, learn about the shapes your considering, if you have the time and desire to get a board custom made by a local shaper that you can trust to make a quality board, I've found thats a great option, becuase there are some really good shapers around the Delmarva.

i never said anyone said they don't work.i was just clarifying my otherwise negative statements.i like a local shaper because i found one,or i'd go to minami or malcolm,but the al merricks i had in 79-?were really his,and some of them worked.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    anyone here remember Backyard Boards (BYB) from the mid-late 90's? glassed so lightly & poorly that they'd get pressures in the racks from people touching them. then they'd delam when people rode them.
    I remember... a friend of mine had a BYB round nose fish, and i used to love riding it, felt like a magic board from the first time i paddled out on it, and i instantly felt like i was doing better turns on it than on whatever i was riding at the time. He had it for years, and i remember being bummed when he sold it. Rode great, but i do remember it was the kind of lightly glassed board that seemed like it was always getting mystery dings and cave ins.
    Last edited by mitchell; Apr 12, 2013 at 06:34 PM.

well yea; no amount of marketing in the world will compensate for boards that don't work. anyone here remember Backyard Boards (BYB) from the mid-late 90's? glassed so lightly & poorly that they'd get pressures in the racks from people touching them. then they'd delam when people rode them.
    People still ride em out here, I see em all the time. I think the guy who owns the brand surfs and lives in Encinitas. They have a good reputation, never ridden one myself.

same can be said for ...Lost boards from the same time period or JS. Most boards with clark foam and ultra light glass jobs from the 90's would get dinged pretty easily even if you put your finger in them too hard. Had quite a few. CI boards seemed to last longer back then. But then again we were all 20-30 lbs lighter back then, right? Are P/U boards made stronger nowadays? Guess it depends who you ask

Quote Originally Posted by Tubetime View Post
    same can be said for ...Lost boards from the same time period or JS. Most boards with clark foam and ultra light glass jobs from the 90's would get dinged pretty easily even if you put your finger in them too hard. Had quite a few. CI boards seemed to last longer back then. But then again we were all 20-30 lbs lighter back then, right? Are P/U boards made stronger nowadays? Guess it depends who you ask
    maybe my boards at the time were just glassed heavier...i've always been heavy on my feet & beaten the crap out of decks, so the 4/4x4 glass schedule has never made sense to me. i experimented w/ it when i started buying & ordering my own boards, but quickly reverted to my still-preferred 6/4x4 schedule.