LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Small waves: Longboard or fish?

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum. Looking to get a new board this year, something for smaller surf (1-3') which is more often than not near me in the upcoming months. I've ridden a longboard before, but never a fish. I like the idea of a fish shape's maneuverability. Was wondering what you guys prefer for tiny surf?

Right now I've got a 6'10" that I take out most of the time, and a 6'4" for bigger days that's probably past its prime.

my experience is that the longboard will give you better mileage then a fish for small weak summer waves. Not everyone will agree with me but I find that the long board makes otherwise small unsurfable waves surfable more often than a fish will.
    Also the longboard will offer you a very different surfing experience then the fish would compared to your regular surfboards. you can mess around walking the board and riding close to the nose, stuff like that that you're not going to do on a fish.

Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    ... the longboard will offer you a very different surfing experience then the fish would compared to your regular surfboards. you can mess around walking the board and riding close to the nose, stuff like that that you're not going to do on a fish.
    I think Fitz pretty much says it all right there. If you just want to keep the shortboard experience going in tiny waves, you could do that on a fish... or a Mini Sim... or a lot of the alternative type shapes out there now. If you want to use a different skills set, and a whole different approach to wave riding, a longboard will give you just that.

Images
    I usually dont opt for either my longboard or a traditional twin-keel fish for those small summer waves, even though i love both of those types of boards. If its 1-3 and soft and glassy, I'll usually be riding a mini simmon. If its small but more of an a-frame kind of wave, a round nose quad fish is what i'll grab.

This morning was just like a typical summer wave...soft, glassy and small but kind of a-framey with little pockets. The RNFQ was perfect.

Last edited by mitchell; Apr 14, 2013 at 05:21 PM.

I love Longboards cause they can catch even the no-see-um waves. I use a 7'7 fish hybrid for almost everything else. super versatile!

Images
    Mini Simmons!! Catches waves like a longboard and is still really maneuverable.

are you back or frontside to the majority of waves you frequent? I'm goofyfoot and on small days I love the fish for lefts, log for rights

agreed mini simmons. the thickest and widest you can find. bob had it all figured out in the mid 50's.

Mattybrews! Check your PM inbox.

I would go longboard if I were you. I usually ride a 5'6 scorcher but i love taking out the 9 foot walden on days that it is smaller because i catch every wave i want