LOGIN | REGISTER

Rent a board & Surf spots - Visiting Newport Beach from Wrightsville Beach, NC

What's up people...
    I'm visiting newport beach all the way from southern NC. I've never been to the west coast so I'm definitely stoked. I need to rent a board for the week and also figure out what surf spots I should definitely hit.
    I've been surfing for 4 years and have surfed some decent hurricanes here in NC (ie: Sandy)... so i'm not looking to rent a soft top or anything like that. I ride a 5'9 Bill Johnson CJ Fishy currently...but I don't want to bring it with me because it's super expensive to fly with. So any good surf shops that do weekly rentals?
    Also what are the surf spots I should hit? I'm definitely going to surf at Trestles a couple times. Probably also surf the famous Huntington Pier where Rudy's is. And I guess just up and down newport beach wherever I see a nice wave, I'm staying with a buddy in Newport.

Thanks bros!

Can't help you with a place to rent a board, but I bet Google or your buddy can reccomend one. Just FYI, there are a lot of really good used boards in the OC and SD counties. It's a buyer's market out here. You might be able to find a deal that's worth shipping home. Keep an eye on Craigslist and the erBB. I saw a brand new ...Lost Rocket selling for 275$ today. Already deleted, so I assume it sold; but deals like that aren't uncommon. Maybe you could have your buddy go and snaggle you something before you even get out here.

Just as an example:
    surfboard - $100 (San diego)

Looks like a clean board to me (gotta see it person to know for sure), totally worth a 100$ and that's at least what you'd pay for a week's rent.

Other than that it sounds like you've got your trip dialed in man. Just do the California thing and drive up and down the coast until you see something you like. Find a parking spot and paddle out. Have fun, good luck and I hope May ain't too gray for ya.