close ad [x]

South of the Border!

Anyone check out baja lately? I had extensive experience about 5 years ago - right when things got sketchy. I haven't been back until recently and have been pleasantly surprised. Things are getting more lively, police are acting less corrupt, and the surf is firing as always. Last time I went I stayed at La Fonda, an old favorite of many day trippers. Usually the biggest in the area, there is almost always something to surf. To my surprise, the place had a bit of new activity going on in the area, including a new surf hostel dedicated to the traveling surfer. Check out Young Dudes (www.youngdudes.co) by scoping out the excruciatingly bright blue building just off the free highway about a 1/4 mile down from the highway exit for Alisitos. From there you've got safe parking, warm showers, and quick access to the beach. <br /><br />For those of you thinking that Baja might not be safe these days, think again! As always, travel with prudent caution, don't be flashy, and don't drive at night. Do a little homework ahead of time and you'll be sure to have a ball down there -- no traffic on the roads and no lineup to speak of!

I used to live in TJ (commuted every day to work in downtown SD). Been surfing 25 years and caught my best ride ever in Baja Malibu. Haven't been south in a couple years. Glad to hear it's all good and will head back down there again soon. Thanks for the post!