LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Keep that in mind next time your off surfing Morocco or a host of other poor nations with great waves.
    then you should gently remind the Morrocans that they would still be under Vichy French or German rule if it wasn't for us.

Quote Originally Posted by nynj View Post
    There is a war on terror. I agree that it is un-winnable, but what do you suggest? You want us to do nothing while a bomb goes off every few years?
    There are terrorist training camps where they train and plan for attacks on Americas. They don't look like military so it is nearly impossible to find them. They hide behind their own people putting their civilians in danger.

I agree there are terrorist entities, bombers, training camps, jihadists etc. But simply to umbrella all these groups under the label of "terrorists" gives the government unlimited power to legislate against an essentially blank check of people they could throw in this category (even as the past few years have shown american citizens). Many of my friends coming back from Afganistan told me there is not really a highly organized "al-queda" but many warring tribes that have little to no organization or interdependence. We just umbrella them to make them seem like a common unified enemy.

There have always been terrorists since the beginning of power, as long as you have a power structure someone will fight to take it down. But keep in mind one mans terrorist is anothers revolutionary. Under the current administrations definition of "terrorist" all of our founding fathers would be considered terrorists.

my point isn't that "terrorism doesn't exist" its that you cant have a "war on terror". There are no boundaries, time constraints, ethnicities, or culture we are at war here. We are having a war on an IDEA which is impossible to win, or even sustain in the first place. Terrorism is simply a umbrella term that applies to anyone the government deems as an enemy of the state, even a law abiding american citizen. No trial is needed to indefinitely detain american citizens anymore, drone-strikes can happen to americans on american soil, your rights of habeus corpus can be stripped at any time. Thats not war, thats a mechanism of a police state.

The thing is the American public has always needed a paper tiger with which the government spreads an atmosphere of fear to the general public in order to usurp power. Be it Terrorists today, "communism" during the red scare, the IWW during the 20's, "Nazis" and "Japs during WW2. Obviously during ww2 the tiger wasn't paper but you get my point.

There is no war on terror, but there are indeed terrorists. And I would list the current and prior administrations as terrorist numero uno.

you are watching WAAAY too much V for Vendetta.

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    you are watching WAAAY too much V for Vendetta.
    nah just a poly sci major that im dropping to a minor cause its useless in the real world

Quote Originally Posted by trevolution View Post
    nah just a poly sci major that im dropping to a minor cause its useless in the real world

lol.. i was a poli sci major (got a BA and MA in it) and once you get out in the real world those views will change. Worked in the field for for 5 years before moving on..

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    lol.. i was a poli sci major (got a BA and MA in it) and once you get out in the real world those views will change. Worked in the field for for 5 years before moving on..
    yea i changed to evs man. at least theres jobs in that and i can get a job on the coast with good waves, and protect it at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by trevolution View Post
    I agree there are terrorist entities, bombers, training camps, jihadists etc. But simply to umbrella all these groups under the label of "terrorists" gives the government unlimited power to legislate against an essentially blank check of people they could throw in this category (even as the past few years have shown american citizens). Many of my friends coming back from Afganistan told me there is not really a highly organized "al-queda" but many warring tribes that have little to no organization or interdependence. We just umbrella them to make them seem like a common unified enemy.

There have always been terrorists since the beginning of power, as long as you have a power structure someone will fight to take it down. But keep in mind one mans terrorist is anothers revolutionary. Under the current administrations definition of "terrorist" all of our founding fathers would be considered terrorists.

my point isn't that "terrorism doesn't exist" its that you cant have a "war on terror". There are no boundaries, time constraints, ethnicities, or culture we are at war here. We are having a war on an IDEA which is impossible to win, or even sustain in the first place. Terrorism is simply a umbrella term that applies to anyone the government deems as an enemy of the state, even a law abiding american citizen. No trial is needed to indefinitely detain american citizens anymore, drone-strikes can happen to americans on american soil, your rights of habeus corpus can be stripped at any time. Thats not war, thats a mechanism of a police state.

The thing is the American public has always needed a paper tiger with which the government spreads an atmosphere of fear to the general public in order to usurp power. Be it Terrorists today, "communism" during the red scare, the IWW during the 20's, "Nazis" and "Japs during WW2. Obviously during ww2 the tiger wasn't paper but you get my point.

There is no war on terror, but there are indeed terrorists. And I would list the current and prior administrations as terrorist numero uno.
    +1 Sounds like you're actually learning something in college...j/k.
    Good little college kid!!!

just keep the loan debt as low as you can. back the thread, things are rarely black on white in the real world. I would dispute your assertion that the founders would be labels as terrorists tho. Radicals certainly but terrorists typically can be defined by their actions of attacking non-combatants.

I mean they may not be full fledged "terrorists" but they definitely participated in some terroristic acts against non combatants. The tarring and feathering of tax collectors, burning of Tories homes (even if they are civillians). Besides a "non combatant" was equally as hard to define in the 1700's because almost every civillian in America at the time was a combatant because of the militia system. A supporter of the english regime could be a farmer by day, and a marksman by night. Not to mention the actions of our Privateers on non-combatent navy vessels. Whether or not the founding fathers actually participated in these acts (George Washington Prob did) is debatable.

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    So does nobody have anything to say about this? There are more dead from this than the Boston Marathon, and I find this no coincidence. There's too much going on right now to write this one off as an accident, it's being investigated as a crime.