LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by viajerodevida View Post
    DP, I hear what you're saying and I don't disagree, but the reality is that it's nearly impossible to prevent something like this from happening, even if the POTUS were going to run -- which he never would because it would be impossible to secure the entire route.

I don't mean to say that we shouldn't try harder or that canvasing an area hasn't worked before, but if someone has enough intent they can do anything they want. Boots on the ground and multiple eyes watching definitely works, but the slippery slope where that leads is a realization that more boots are better, and that someone has to watch all the time -- otherwise it's trivial for an observant criminal to wait until the watcher turns his head to look at something else.

The problem is that there's no definitive action we can take to prevent guerrilla warfare or terrorism like this without further eroding the freedoms that make this country great. We want to feel safe but don't accept that we're never actually going to be safe. Cameras on every street corner and drones in the sky will not prevent this from happening. We're accustomed to giving up privacy for our protection, which isn't always a bad thing, but because 100% protection 100% of the time is impossible, we end up created arbitrary rules that protect against the unlikeliest of threats -- like taking your shoes off in the airport.

X-raying footwear is security theater that makes us feel better about doing something to counter an attack, but it actually does very little to prevent a real attack. The point of terrorism is to terrorize, and for many years we've been told it's too dangerous to fly with little pointy objects and small quantities of liquid. The collective fear means the terrorists are winning. If they find that these bombs were put in garbage cans, someone will suggest that the government should allot money to make all garbage cans bomb-proof.

There's no correct answer to any of this, yet there are lots of wrong answers (not suggesting you or anyone else here is wrong). We accept certain dangers when we surf -- sharks, drowning, kooks -- yet we continue to surf. We shouldn't kill all the sharks, pave over the sharp coral, or require a license to operate a surfboard. I knew people who died in 9/11 and I was and still am angry, but I know the answer wasn't to round up all middle-eastern people or prevent mosques from being built in lower Manhattan. I hope the same reactionary tactics don't happen now. If we find out this was done by white militants from the US, who do we round up? People who exercise their 2nd amendment right who also dislike the government?

OK, that's the end of my rant. I hope we find the mofos who did this and that Boston and the injured fully recover.
    Well thought out, rational post. Thanks for sharing, and I certainly see your point. Sorry to hear of your losses from 9/11, I was upset when it happened but didn't lose anybody I knew personally, so I can't quite relate to that, but i'm sure it's one of the worst feelings in the world. Lets hope this is just some random act and not something from N. Korea or another nation or organization, because the way things are right now it might spark a WW.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Well thought out, rational post. Thanks for sharing, and I certainly see your point. Sorry to hear of your losses from 9/11, I was upset when it happened but didn't lose anybody I knew personally, so I can't quite relate to that, but i'm sure it's one of the worst feelings in the world. Lets hope this is just some random act and not something from N. Korea or another nation or organization, because the way things are right now it might spark a WW.
    + 1 Very thought out and rational.

call me crazy but the only stuff that i want to read written by surfers is about board shapes and wave conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by cackedinri View Post
    call me crazy but the only stuff that i want to read written by surfers is about board shapes and wave conditions.
    +10000000000000000000000000

yea politics and current events outside of the surfing world has no place on a surf forecast website. its everywhere else

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NJxSurfer View Post
    Dude... What did you just make me watch?
    THE TRUTH!

haha nah hes a nut though

I like to read about my fellow surfers' take on things. If you don't like it, don't read it...

And Trevolution, was that Global Research link a joke? It made me laugh.

So why do you read something in the "All Discussions" forum? You should only open threads in "Surfboards and Surfboard Design."
    I aggree that I usually don't like to talk/hear about polotics and religion, but this is different. America was attacked and that impacts everyone. People are angry/sad and like to vent.

Quote Originally Posted by cackedinri View Post

Everybody needs to chill out with the rampant anti-muslim accusations that are entirely unfounded. Talk blaming "towelheads" is ignorant and dumb. Same goes for the conspiracy nut jobs blaming the government claiming they're attacking their own citizens. Same goes for those blaming white militants. Same goes for anyone blaming anybody else at this point. There is no credible information about who perpetrated this attack, and jumping to conclusions regarding culpability is insane. We don't need to alienate ANY group right now - that's playing into the hands of the coward(s) who pulled this s***. Especially when those responsible certainly reflect a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of whatever ethnicity/religion/ideology/etc. they may be characterized by. Don't overgeneralize. Come together and rise up, don't divide and let them get their wish.

On a similar note, as a Boston resident, I can tell you the community coming together as it has has been truly inspiring. We should be focused on the tremendous effort of the first responders, volunteers, citizens, and race participants who continue to offer support, the lines out the door of area hospitals to donate blood, the thousands of citizens who are offering their homes to perfect strangers. These people come from all walks of life, and many of them fall into one of the various categories that people are universally blaming. If you respond to this tragedy with rage, that's your prerogative, and while not mine, it's an understandable one - just wait for more information. Respond to fact, not fear.
    Last edited by newenglandflatness; Apr 16, 2013 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by newenglandflatness View Post
    Everybody needs to chill out with the rampant anti-muslim accusations that are entirely unfounded. Talk blaming "towelheads" is ignorant and dumb. Same goes for the conspiracy nut jobs blaming the government claiming they're attacking their own citizens. Same goes for those blaming white militants. Same goes for anyone blaming anybody else at this point. There is no credible information about who perpetrated this attack, and jumping to conclusions regarding culpability is insane. We don't need to alienate ANY group right now - that's playing into the hands of the coward(s) who pulled this s***. Especially when those responsible certainly reflect a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of whatever ethnicity/religion/ideology they may be characterized by. Don't overgeneralize. Come together and rise up, don't divide and let them get their wish.

On a similar note, as a Boston resident, I can tell you the community coming together as it has has been truly inspiring. We should be focused on the tremendous effort of the first responders, volunteers, citizens, and race participants who continue to offer support, the lines out the door of area hospitals to donate blood, the thousands of citizens who are offering their homes to perfect strangers. These people come from all walks of life, and many of them fall into one of the various categories that people are universally blaming. If you respond to this tragedy with rage, that's your prerogative, and while not mine, it's an understandable one - just wait for more information. Respond to fact, not fear.
    what if its discovered that yet another muslim has commited yet another act of terrorism on our land? keep saying that we need to come together as a community?.... The responsibility falls on the muslim american population to get its act together.