LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Say Goodbye to Surfing in NJ

Everything gets sand, from Sea Bright to Barnegat.
    Just when alot of breaks had finally come back....
    Get involved to save your breaks and jetties however you can.

Shore towns in Monmouth and Ocean counties will get new beaches starting as early as this summer, thanks to hundreds of millions of dollars being drawn from the Sandy aid package.

Rep. Frank Pallone Jr., D-N.J., said the federal government could spend as much as $200 million on a beach-replenishment project that will stretch from Sandy Hook to the Barnegat Inlet.

Pallone said he believes the federal government will fund 100 percent of the project, but that has yet to be made final.

“It’s the largest beach-replenishment project ever,” Pallone said. “Such a massive amount of money is going to make a difference. That’s about 15 times what we would normally get in a year.”

The project will fill beaches with sand, bringing them to a height and width that will provide a buffer against future storms. Chris Gardner, spokesman for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ New York Division, which covers Monmouth County, said the beaches will rise to the original level authorized by Congress more than a decade ago, generally about 100 feet wide and 10 feet above sea level.

The schedule of what towns will be affected first will come out in the coming months, at the beginning of the contract process, he said. The project is currently being designed and engineered.

“We’re looking to put sand on the beach sometime this summer,” he said.

Pallone said he expects the project to go out to bid in May.

The project should take at least a year, Gardner said. Only sections of beaches will be closed at a time, he said

Gardner could not confirm the amount that will be spent on the project nor whether the federal government will pick up the entire tab. He said he is not even sure that towns that did not participate in the original project to build up the beaches in Monmouth County between 1994 and 2001 will be able to take part in this new project. Word is expected soon.

A spokesman for the Philadelphia Division of the Army Corps of Engineers, which covers Ocean County, did not immediately return a call.

Pallone mentioned two other projects in Monmouth County.

A flood-prevention project to protect the low-lying areas of the Port Monmouth section of Middletown also is being drawn from Sandy funds. The plans will include the construction of nearly 7,070 feet of levees, 3,585 feet of floodwalls and 2,640 feet of dune and beach replenishment. The project has been on the books for years.

Pallone said he expects it will cost $90 million.

Another $50 million is expected to be spent on repairs to levees, a pump station, a floodwall and closure gates that were constructed four decades ago in Keansburg.

Manasquan officials welcomed the beach replenishment project.

It will restore the beachfront in Manasquan to the level at which the Army Corps engineered it in 1996, borough officials said.

“Basically, our beach will be bigger, wider and cleaner than before,” said Borough Councilman Joseph Bossone, beach committee chairman.

oh boy looks like more influx of new jersians to other breaks...if they can beat the gauntlet of traffic out of their state

Wow we can spend half the money on artificial reefs. But exactly How does beach replenishment destroy waves? Does it still destroy waves if the break is not dependent on sand bars. How long is the recovery?

Yes it destroys surf spots. Shallow slopey breaks become 8 foot high sand berms. They pump about 100 feet of sand right out into the breaks. So where you were surfing previously is now dry sand. Then the waves crash right on the shorebreak. They also remove or cut jetties as well sometimes.
    Recovery is about 2-3 years before a spot will work again, sometimes longer, depending on storms.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbug View Post
    Yes it destroys surf spots. Shallow slopey breaks become 8 foot high sand berms. They pump about 100 feet of sand right out into the breaks. So where you were surfing previously is now dry sand. Then the waves crash right on the shorebreak. They also remove or cut jetties as well sometimes.
    Recovery is about 2-3 years before a spot will work again, sometimes longer, depending on storms.
    Hey stink bug where did you see this article? Thx

Quote Originally Posted by bbuzz View Post
    Hey stink bug where did you see this article? Thx
    The original article I posted was from Asbury Park Press

this will be very problematic, they still havent figured out how to fill the sand in in a safe way for beachgoers, a few years ago when the replenished the beaches in harvey cedars there was a rise in impact injuries from swimmers being slammed into the sand by waves. the beach along the waters edge was so steep that it created powerful shorebreak unsafe for most swimmers and now they want to do this all over again....

I was just looking at the 7th street OC surf cam. Did they just "fix" the beaches there? if so, its a great example of there goes the break!!!

Everyone on here constantly b!tching about beach nourishment. A couple days after they finished filling north street in OC, we got a swell and it was some of the best ive ever seen north street break. i think everyone just likes to hop on the i hate beachfills bandwagon.

Quote Originally Posted by SJerzSrfr View Post
    Everyone on here constantly b!tching about beach nourishment. A couple days after they finished filling north street in OC, we got a swell and it was some of the best ive ever seen north street break. i think everyone just likes to hop on the i hate beachfills bandwagon.
    Dude... if there was a reason not to hate these kinds of projects, believe me... I wouldn't be hating. But because I've experienced nothing BUT negative impacts from beach replenishment on surfing in my area, I'll by the first to say "let me lead the haters' bandwagon."

Your comment shows EXACTLY why a one-size-fits-all concept of beach replenishment does not work. Replenishment efforts have to be SITE SPECIFIC... what works in one area, fails in another. It's the total lack of engineering that causes the problems. It's like a giant organized crime operation... a big "make work" job. It's borderline criminal in my mind to intentionally spend mountains of taxpayer money on something that you know is sub-standard, temporary, outdated, and futile.
    Last edited by LBCrew; Apr 16, 2013 at 05:18 PM.