LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbug View Post
    Of all the things they could do with 200 million they blow it on sand pumping.
    WHERE DO YOU THINK ALL THAT SAND IN THE STREETS came from after Sandy???
    So true--i've been saying that from the start and here we go again. Greedy little towns and $10 to get on their beaches...

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbug View Post
    Yes it destroys surf spots. Shallow slopey breaks become 8 foot high sand berms. They pump about 100 feet of sand right out into the breaks. So where you were surfing previously is now dry sand. Then the waves crash right on the shorebreak. They also remove or cut jetties as well sometimes.
    Recovery is about 2-3 years before a spot will work again, sometimes longer, depending on storms.
    Hey stink bug where did you see this article? Thx

http://www.asbpa.org/publications/wh...aper_FINAL.pdf

Good article from 2011, see page 7 for prior N.J. Beach fills

Just an FYI, Army Corp prior studies of sand sites will provide you with vital information of sand size; sand less than 4 MM is finer sand creates better sand bars while courser sand greater than 6 MM doesn't help stabilizing surfable beaches. Nothern NJ is in the New York Army Corp District so they should already know where they're going to mine the sand and sand size if anyone interested upon pursuing the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by SearchForShacks View Post
    What if you could some how convince these morons to use all that sand to create a giant perfect sand point break Know it will never happen but it would be intersting.
    That reminded me of this article I remember reading... turns out they did try that! It didn't work though...

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/n...9bb2963f4.html

the corps’ New York district has done more than just make “small changes” recently.
    In 2009, they spent $1 million in funding through the state to build a sand point on the coast of Long Branch in an attempt to “mitigate the temporary negative impact” of replenishment projects.
    But without a hard structure to keep the sand in place, the Long Branch point quickly eroded. So this year — without similar funding and trying to attack the problem a different way — the corps created a “bump-out” or a feeder beach on a project in Monmouth Beach. And while that 200-foot bump-out has also started to erode, Falt said it has not done so at the rate the Long Branch one did.
    “We consider it to be working,”
    That's from almost a year ago, and I don't have any personal experience up there so don't know how well the "bump out" has held up since then.

Quote Originally Posted by bbuzz View Post
    Hey stink bug where did you see this article? Thx
    The original article I posted was from Asbury Park Press

What if you could some how convince these morons to use all that sand to create a giant perfect sand point break Know it will never happen but it would be intersting.
    They did a small one in Long Branch once. It lasted about 2 months then a storm took it away.
    Yes it was good while it lasted

http://www.7thstreetsurfshop.com/ind...ormation_id=11

there are bulldozers literally where there used to be surfers!! WTF!!!

the first large-scale beach replenishment OCNJ did ('92-'93ish), they stopped for the winter just south of 14th street & created an absolutely amazing lefthand point...even my dad was stoked on it, & he's a regularfoot! being goofy, it did amazing things for my surfing; i just wish i hadn't been so new to surfing...i didn't have the ability to really take advantage of the happy accident.

as for "the end of surfing in nj", that's bs. it's sand. yes, leaving it be or making a serious attempt to match grain size w/ grain size would be better, but it's SAND, people. it moves, gets blown around by the wind, washes in & out w/ the tide...the bars, banks, & breaks will be back. in the mean time, go explore. go look at spots you normally wouldn't; you might be pleasantly surprised. i have been, & frequently, this winter.

surfrider is the worst.they get a free pass.it's like it's a crime to say anything bad about surfrider.they take your money,you display their stickers,license plate frames,and they do nothing for new jersey or hatteras,ever,not once.they don't protect our waves.