LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    Wait till Mitchell Chimes in. He knows why it kills beaches, has something to do with grain size.
    Im dissapointed that Mitchell didnt relay the ways of the sand to us...

Quote Originally Posted by Feesh View Post
    Yea the anything but 3 is how I remember it, it was a fun wave and a great event...to be honest I am not sure if they just covered it I just know its gone. The beach is a lot longer so I guess they could have covered it. I'm telling you, you wouldn't even recognize the beach.
    No rocks were removed...just a ton of sand was used. And come June more sand will be arriving...ugh.

They never removed the jetties in Ceders just pumped so much sand there that they got covered up. When they first had the replenishment there, the beaches were huge, like Wildwood beach. After several years and storms, the break is starting to come back. You can actually see the jetties again, but they are mostly still covered.

Quote Originally Posted by surf05 View Post
    . . . i just don't understand why these lawmakers can't wrap their head around the fact that beach replenishment is a huge waste of money, and does far more harm than good. some of the areas in lbi that suffered the most damage were the ones with extended beaches, and the sand fallout on the streets was ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbug View Post
    Rep. Frank Pallone Jr., D-N.J., said the federal government could spend as much as $200 million on a beach-replenishment project that will stretch from Sandy Hook to the Barnegat Inlet.

Pallone said he believes the federal government will fund 100 percent of the project, but that has yet to be made final.

“It’s the largest beach-replenishment project ever,” Pallone said. “Such a massive amount of money is going to make a difference. That’s about 15 times what we would normally get in a year.”
    Unless they're rich when they get into politics, every one of these guys owes someone else for where they're at. And, the guys they owe get paid back. Hammers don't cost 5 g's. Nobody (except us) cares that it wrecks people and surf breaks and is a temporary fix. That's just one more way to squeeze the juice man. : (

Putting extra sand on the beach does nothing unless there is something like dune grass to hold it in place. Its going to destroy our breaks and waste money at the same time. Maybe they should put more money into planting dunes since they actually make a difference, extra sand is just going to slow the erosion a bit.

Did anyone read the article on "Surf-onomics". I think its worth speaking to your local counsel about the MONEY surfing brings--gas, food, exposure, tournaments--and maybe we can save at least one break per town...
    Perhaps a petition from surfrider?

Of all the things they could do with 200 million they blow it on sand pumping.
    WHERE DO YOU THINK ALL THAT SAND IN THE STREETS came from after Sandy???

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbug View Post
    Of all the things they could do with 200 million they blow it on sand pumping.
    WHERE DO YOU THINK ALL THAT SAND IN THE STREETS came from after Sandy???
    The DEP makes you dispose of it.... and not back on the beach. you can thank them for that one.

Quote Originally Posted by SJerzSrfr View Post
    The DEP makes you dispose of it.... and not back on the beach. you can thank them for that one.
    i mean if they didn't it would be a huge environmental hazard. I don't wanna deal with chromium and arsenic from contaminated sands in my lineup

What if you could some how convince these morons to use all that sand to create a giant perfect sand point break Know it will never happen but it would be intersting.